Windermere sunshine causes madness

IRC Kevin

www.intrescue.org
Easter is the roughest time in the area. You get the wild campers and raves at this time. Plus thieving. We had table and chairs taken form our garden one Easter.

The rest of the year is pleasant by comparison.

Not to mention Vikings!!

PICT0007.jpg

Seajet

Visit site
Judging by the stunted rig and almost everyone wearing buoyancy aids, I suspect they've been got at by elf n' safety, who would probably throw a purple fit if someone suggested wearing chain mail in a boat.

Horned helmets ? You might have someone's eye out.

Kirk Douglas never had this trouble...

Bbroomlea

Visit site
Well Saturday wasnt much better - we moored at Beech Hill Hotel around 4pm and went for a few beers. We came back for a bite to eat before leaving and was greeted with a load of eastern european visitors swimming from the shore to the pontoon.

They got to the pontoon and pulled themselves up on our fenders and mooring lines, pulling the fender down and the boat in - scraping the side on the wood (luckily it polished out) only to display some lovely Y-fronts!!! By this point I was furious and told them to get off the boat - obviously they didnt understand as they dived in from the pontoon and climbed back on using the boat as support. At this point I was ready to cause hell but the wife made sense of it all and we left straight away and found somewhere to anchor on the way back to finish our tea.

Had a great weekend but not impressed by the idiots attracted by the sun - have no issues with people enjoying themselves but two nights in a row we have had to leave moorings to stop any further damage happening to our boat.

Today we have swung on anchor near Belle Island all day and its been bliss :)

Lakesailor

Visit site
It'll probably be locals. Eastern European - Beech Hill, figures. I'll bet they are off-duty staff.

The Miller Ground jetties are often full of local youngsters lolling in the sun and jumping into the lake. Having fun. That's no problem.

Except that the jetties are for boats and a dozen youths on the end of the jetty, plus their push bikes, just about means mooring to that jetty provokes a bit of a stand-off.

Frankly, and I get on with them well, the Lake Patrol and the Wardens need to be more visible and control these high traffic areas.
Still, financial constraints etc.

Plus, that's Easter over. The busiest single time of the year (except the Air Show).

Last edited:

IRC Kevin

www.intrescue.org
That sucks, Bbroomlea. Anchoring up seems to be the best way to go nowadays. As Lakey said, Millerground is full of 14 year olds when it's sunny and just accessing the jetty to moor up can be difficult. We would have moored up in the bird sanctuary, but it's closed to motors till August. Unfortunately, I suspect that the coming long weekend will be just as bad if the weather's nice.

landlockedpirate

Visit site
Just got back from my 1st proper visit to Windermere for about 3 years. Weather was superb and there were a few problems with hire boats and newbies (1 guy managed to block the whole slip for nearly an hour this morning while he and 3 other members of his family tried to launch a 12ft day boat !)

But Friday night was just about as perfect as it gets on the lake - warm, calm and empty.

22042011153.jpg

Noticed a big change in Wardens attitudes to the bylaws now they are not responsible for them. Lots of skiers/wakeboarders and even a few jetskis.

I didnt see the rangers all weekend, are they using the RIB that used to be on Ullswater ?

Dinks66

Visit site
It does look absolutely brill. Your making me feel very jealous!!! I thought it would be much busier than that with it being Easter and all. Can't wait to get up there around 3rd May for a week or so, weather willing! bet the forecast is Cat's Ass for that period knowing my luck!:D

Bbroomlea

Visit site
That top one stopped me on Sunday evening as we are only displaying an SSR number - the ranger was very polite and explained the new ruling. I had already been to the lake office that morning to sort out some new numbers but needed my hull number which I didnt know.

He made it fairly clear that they will start to clamp down soon which is fair enough now the bylaws are crystal so I'll be sporting some new numbers on Saturday!

I also got a wave from a lady Ranger in a similar boat on Saturday - well I thought she was waving but actually telling me to slow down. I was doing 7.5kts in the 10 kts/nmph (delete where appropriate) zone so was a little puzzled by that. However she did have her lights flashing and was in pursuit of a small yellow speed boat going at pace at the time :D