Winch mountings

Wakatere

Visit site
Well, I've given in and bought self-tailing winches - Lewmar Evo - for Wakatere. The literature talks about their "FastFit studs" but I can't find a source. So off-the-shelf screws it is - but do I use SS (with Duralac?) or do they have to be bronze to match the winch base?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Charles

pvb

Visit site
Well, I've given in and bought self-tailing winches - Lewmar Evo - for Wakatere. The literature talks about their "FastFit studs" but I can't find a source. So off-the-shelf screws it is - but do I use SS (with Duralac?) or do they have to be bronze to match the winch base?

Charles

Any Lewmar dealer should be able to order Fast-Fit studs for you. Their main advantage is that fitting becomes a one-person job. If you have help available to fit the winches, then S/S machine screws with Duralac should be fine.

Evadne

Visit site

Charles

Hello Charles, long time no see.
I wouldn't feel the need to use duralac between S/S and bronze, especially above the waterline, they're pretty close on the galvanic scale. Bronze bolts would do as well but be sitting down when you look at the price!!:
Galvanic.gif

(Picture from the Classic Marine web site, a very useful article on metals in water) here.

Poignard

Visit site
'scuse me but what are FastFit studs? I have been searching on the internet but I can't find any information.

I have a couple of s/h Lewmar winches to fit and I wonder if these FastFits might do for that job

Wakatere

Visit site
Later Lewmar winches have threaded holes in the base - screw in the studs, drill all the holes, poke the studs through, then go round the other side and put nuts on.

Not a big deal for my primaries as I can reach in through the cockpit lockers and get to top and bottom at the same time, but for the secondaries it would be useful.