Will cockpit speaker upset autopilot?

samwise

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com
We are considering installing a pair of speakers in the transom of our Westerly. They would be switched so that one of them could do double duty as a VHF cockpit speaker or both could be switched off in port or an anchor ( to avoid upsetting the neighbours). My concern is the possible EM effect upon the ST2000+ autopilot which would be less than half a metre away. Any thoughts?

Marsupial

Visit site
when in port switch on the autohelm, hold your speaker half meter away and see if the autohelm tries to correct the helm, if it does then the speaker IS deflecting the fluxgate compass and is too close.

Monique

Visit site
In my opinion, the position of your ST2000 is not as important as the position of the flux gate for the unit.

IMO, again, if the flux gate is 2 mtrs away, you should be ok.

GL with your project

macd

Visit site
In my opinion, the position of your ST2000 is not as important as the position of the flux gate for the unit.

IMO, again, if the flux gate is 2 mtrs away, you should be ok.

Samwise won't need telling this, but the fluxgate is built in to the ST2000+

For what it's worth when I bought my boat there was a speaker for the VHF about 2 feet from the tillerpilot. It didn't seem to impair the thing's steering, although I've since moved the speaker for other reasons.

Last edited:

earlybird

Visit site
I think 1/2 metre is too little. I've tried this myself with a car speaker and H/B compass. An effect is noticeable at over 1m and varies with the relative alignment of the magnet with the compass, so the effect will not be constant, but will vary with actual course being steered at the time and heeling.
Having said this, the A/Pilot will still steer.

Last edited:

Stork_III

Visit site
We are considering installing a pair of speakers in the transom of our Westerly. They would be switched so that one of them could do double duty as a VHF cockpit speaker or both could be switched off in port or an anchor ( to avoid upsetting the neighbours). My concern is the possible EM effect upon the ST2000+ autopilot which would be less than half a metre away. Any thoughts?
Provided you recalibrate the TP for compass deviation after speaker installation you should be ok.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
We are considering installing a pair of speakers in the transom of our Westerly. My concern is the possible EM effect upon the ST2000+ autopilot which would be less than half a metre away. Any thoughts?

My fluxgate is well away from the transom. Mr Raymarine advises the "centre of rotation" for the least effect of boat's motion. The transom seems a bit far away from that.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I have a TP30 tillerpilot, a pair of 6 inch stereo speakers and an extension cockpit speaker. One of the stereo speakers is about a foot from the TP, the extension speaker is about 18 inches. The TP is not the slightest bit affected by them.

ben_m

Visit site
I have a pair of fusion cockpit speakers mounted at the aft end of the cockpit and one's about 6 inches from my st2000 tillerpilot. No problems after a year's use - think the speakers are magnetically shielded though.