Wife says its ether 240V, or she won’t come cruising.

BigJoe

Visit site
Thanks for the advice ladies and gents.
Just to update everyone, but I have purchased a Kipor IG2600.
I am preparing it for its first voyage at the weekend.

TRI 39…………………………………………………
Its 150 wats, I think, I am still thinking or getting an invertors as well.

Charles reed……………………………………………………….
150 watts
Cant remember offhanded the batteries put out.
We can anchor up of as long as we like, pop in to resupply.

Too much time and money invested into Mrs Big Joe.

Idpnd………………………………………
See above, I have a Kipor IG 2600

KellysEye……………………
Thanks see above.

Bajansailor……………………………………….
Ever consider being a stand-up comedian……………didn’t thinks so.

Rickym………………………………………….
I am heading in the same direction, but I still have a wee bit left.

Roberto………………………………………..
Ever consider being a stand-up comedian……………didn’t thinks so.

KellysEye……………………………………………………….
Thanks……………………………………I think.

Sailinglegend420……………………………………
I am intrigued by you’re post……………….
You say you have a 4KV diesel generator and a 2.5 KV inverter
What make of generator is it and where do you get a inverter that big.

Abraxas33………………………………………………………
Sorry, just got a brand ne Kipor IG 2600 suitcase generator.

JamesFrance……………………………………………..
Will keep that in mind.

Fantasie 19…………………………………………………..
Thanks, will think about both, for several seconds each day.

Obi………………………………..
A pure-sine wave inverter is required, I will keep that in mind, thanks.

Centesimus………………………………………………………….
You are so very right on one point, and Mrs BigJoe likes to go sailing :-0

Sorry if I missed anyone, and thanks again……………………..

Will post later with my first running of the genset………….

JoetheLARGE

theguerns

Visit site
240v

Help……………………………….

I posted this on 2 other forums, just thought you guys would have some input as well.

I am in a dilemma, I have shore power that supplies 240V when alongside, but nada when cruising and anchor hopping.
The Mrs, apparently, wont go more that 3 day without using her GHD hair straighteners.
I have looked at a diesel inboard gen set but the 15K price tag scared me off ( I am Scottish eh ).
I was thinking of in inverter, but would I need to increase my alternator size ? and battery bank ?, or would a cheep and nasty petrol generator do a job.

Thanks in advance for any help or tips.
We have a Honda 1000W genset and it meets all oour needs when at anchor, such as washing machine,spindryer,computer,tv,dvd,radio,batterycharging but not hair dryer(1400w)

Visit site
Thanks for the advice ladies and gents.
Just to update everyone, but I have purchased a Kipor IG2600.
I am preparing it for its first voyage at the weekend.

Sailinglegend420……………………………………
I am intrigued by you’re post……………….
You say you have a 4KV diesel generator and a 2.5 KV inverter
What make of generator is it and where do you get a inverter that big.

Your sensible post seems to have got a bit hijacked!

Victron and Mastervolt now do up to 3KVA inverters which makes it possible to have a DC generator instead of AC. Ours is made by Fischer Panda.

We bought the largest inverter available at the time to match the power of the DC genny and allow us to have any electrics we wanted when at anchor, we can even run the Air Con for a couple of hours without starting the genny. Heating the hot water takes only 35Ah as we installed a smaller 29 litre tank and reduced the immersion heater to 750 watts. We are living abourd so have gone to great lengths to make things work for us, and a good DC system is paramount.

Just for the record we don't need if for the WIFI's hair straightener or hair dryer - she doesn't even have a dress on board! (Sorry to get back to Acronyms)

BigJoe

Visit site
Sailinglegend420………………………………………..

Yes regarding my post being hijacked, I am a bit new to this forum malarkey, so I think they are taking me for a sail.

I have already purchased and test run my Kipor 2600KW, at the weekend, and all went well.

We just plug it into the shore power and it runs all the stuff we need.

We don’t ( yet ) spend the time that you do on our boat, but plan to in the future.

You must have a huge battery bank.

We are just a few hrs north of you, in San Pedro del Pinatar

Visit site
Big Joe.

The battery bank is 1050 Ah Lifeline AGMs which matches the charging capacity of the genny, Ah = 4 times the charging current, which matches the size of the invertor, which would need about 200 DC amps to deliver 2Kw AC.

Hope this makes sense.

JamesFrance

Sant Carles Marina, Spain and Carcassonne
Visit site
My post about cruising having changed in 50 years was because when cruising the Med 40 years ago, our battery was reserved for engine starting. Water was obtained by using Whale foot pumps, light and heat from a Tilley lamp and we had the absolute luxury of an Electrolux fridge powered by paraffin.

The best thing about all of the above was that they didn't break down at awkward times or require generators to keep them working.

BigJoe

Visit site

I would love to say that it all makes complete sense,

But,

Unfortunately I only know that I have 1 starting battery

And 2 battery’s for everything else.

I will now need to check that I don’t blow up my battery’s and my charger, with my generator, I think.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, and I hope that Cartagena was a sunny as Orihuela Coast, was today.

BigJoe

Visit site
JamesFrance…………………………

I believe you………………………………….just.

I to remember gas fridges, foot pumps and Tilley lamps, but its funny how you get used to the home comforts.

Heckler

Visit site

I would love to say that it all makes complete sense,

But,

Unfortunately I only know that I have 1 starting battery

And 2 battery’s for everything else.

I will now need to check that I don’t blow up my battery’s and my charger, with my generator, I think.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, and I hope that Cartagena was a sunny as Orihuela Coast, was today.
Joe
You wont blow anything up. If you have plugged your shore power lead in to it it is no different than plugging it in to shore mains, take no notice of the anoraks! The on board charger looks after the charging.
If you want to chat again feel free
Stu

Visit site
My post about cruising having changed in 50 years was because when cruising the Med 40 years ago, our battery was reserved for engine starting.............

50 years ago people living in houses had loos at the bottom of the garden, no central heating, no hot water tanks, etc,etc,..... Life has moved on since then so why shouldn't we "enjoy" our sailing?

JamesFrance

Visit site
Oh I have all the modern electrics now, but most of them are a source of ongoing expense and trouble, which I do not think adds to enjoyment, but maybe as one gets older those things are more annoying.

I am not aware that I ever said you should not "enjoy" your sailing, whatever gave you that idea?

BigJoe

Visit site
Joe
You wont blow anything up. If you have plugged your shore power lead in to it it is no different than plugging it in to shore mains, take no notice of the anoraks! The on board charger looks after the charging.
If you want to chat again feel free
Stu

Skipper Stu.............................

Cheers for the reply, Its good to talk sometimes, and Spain is a wee bit isolated at the best of times.

BigJoe

Visit site
Oh I have all the modern electrics now, but most of them are a source of ongoing expense and trouble, which I do not think adds to enjoyment, but maybe as one gets older those things are more annoying.

I am not aware that I ever said you should not "enjoy" your sailing, whatever gave you that idea?

JamesFrance......................................................

You don't have to tell me about, ongoing trouble, I have been fiddling with C-map charts and OpenCPN, for a few days and its doing me head in.

Visit site

Part of the "enjoyment" of sailing is doing all those little jobs - and the elctrics don't seem to be any worse than the other kit. If you can't DIY then I don't know how anyone can afford to be liveaboard - unless you have a very fat cheque book.

JamesFrance

Visit site
Part of the "enjoyment" of sailing is doing all those little jobs - and the elctrics don't seem to be any worse than the other kit. If you can't DIY then I don't know how anyone can afford to be liveaboard - unless you have a very fat cheque book.

You seem to know more about my capabilities and experience than I do. Assumptions about my financial position are not called for or welcome either.

I see no point in continuing this exchange.

Visit site
I should have said "If one can't DIY....." but that sounds too regal.

I apologise if I upset you, I didn't mean too - there are too many other idiots on this forum doing that kind of thing - usual the ones with thousands and thousands of postings and nothing better to do!!! I urge forumites to report ANY abuse to the moderator.

nathanlee

Visit site

Help……………………………….

I posted this on 2 other forums, just thought you guys would have some input as well.

I am in a dilemma, I have shore power that supplies 240V when alongside, but nada when cruising and anchor hopping.
The Mrs, apparently, wont go more that 3 day without using her GHD hair straighteners.
I have looked at a diesel inboard gen set but the 15K price tag scared me off ( I am Scottish eh ).
I was thinking of in inverter, but would I need to increase my alternator size ? and battery bank ?, or would a cheep and nasty petrol generator do a job.

Thanks in advance for any help or tips.

Honestly, absolutely truthfully, I'd tell her it's her choice and leave it at that. Buy her a new set of hair straighteners, leave her some bingo money, and go enjoy the boat on your own :)

Nealo

Visit site
I bet BigJoe didn't expect all this from a perfectly innocuous post.

I sympathise - my first wife couldn't live without a hair drier on hand and that was a serious problem when we used to go camping - in the days long before 240v supplies on camp sites. (no, that's not the reason we got divorced)

To those of you who unkindly suggested BJ should leave his wife at home, or just leave her, I think one or two of you were actually serious in which case you really do need help.

I say three cheers to Mrs Joe for wanting to keep her standards up.

What's wrong with generators? The new breed of petrol generators are so quiet, certainly less intrusive than someone firing up the diesel because their inverters run down the batteries. And most marinas have regulations about running them at anti social hours anyway. A new Honda 1000w generator is about the same price as a small wind turbine, I know which I would rather have. Buy two and all your electricity problems are solved for as long as the oil lasts. And when it runs out we're all ****** anyway.

So that's what SWMBO stands for!!!