Why?

inneedofhelp

Visit site
What's up with all this them and us? My friend and I have small old boats and always take them out in company he has a little sail boat and although I'm there to tow him home when the wind stops it's not unknown for it to be the otherway round when the damned engine packs up (who forgot the key for the SPARE?)
lets have some cooperation

G

I think it has something to do with size! The bigger the boat the more intense it gets, skippers get far too serious, act in a superior manner, go in for blue ensigns and have to impress visitors.

Can't we just relax a bit and enjoy simply being afloat?

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Dont think there is much of it, once away from the Solent. But people tend to group together on the basic of compatability and things in common. Very hard to relaite. Us lot zooming to Guernsey in three to five hours before dinner and a raggie up all night and then a bit more. Theres none of us lot worried which way the tides going or what the wind is doing (Long as there aint to much of course). So, hard to have a meaningfull understanding or discusion. You can hardly cruise in company with one lot doing 20plus knots and the others going backwards half the time. Can you?? So apart from a little chat and good morning, theres not much else to say. But in the real world we all get along fine in most places.

No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer!!!

Haydn

Chris_d

Visit site
I'm a motorboater, but most of my sea experience has been in charted sailboats.
Basicaly in a Mo'bo you don't have to worry about drawing all those zig-zags on the chart, vectors, tidal calculations, which rope to pull, manouvering, being constrained by draught, riding out serious storms etc.. you can just get to the bar on time and enjoy the ride in between. Because of this the raggie sailor can adopt and air of superiority knowing that he requires greater seamanship just to even leave his berth. There is without doubt a higher proportion of t*****s who buy mo'bos because you can simply turn the key and go, this gives the rest of us a bad name.
But anyone who truly loves boats, surely dosen't care if it has an sail or an engine, as long as they are afloat.

sailbadthesinner

Visit site
oh poor deluded boy
dost though not know that this has been going on since noah?
The flood was sent to purge the world of mobos but four disguised themselves as pantomime horses and went on to populate the world at twice the rate of yotties.

Seriously i think that the raggies ( of which i am one) are more diverse bunch than the mobos and tend to have more extremes. There are those who would rather die than have an engine, i suspect there are even some that would rather go down with the vessel than have the ignominy of being rescued.
yotties is riddled with class
Blue water long term cruisers and liveaboards loook down on everyone
bluewater owners look down on the benetaus and other white hulls
the white hulls look down on the charterers
and everyone looks down on sunsail

i have missed out the trads with no engines as total head the balls and loons who live off lentils and limpets

but some think that mobo is too easy and therefore shouldn't be allowed. as the sport has grown and the solent has got more crowded this stupid bickering has grown totally out of proportion. just get on with going where you are going most of us yachties in the rest of the world are ok with mobos. My only exception was three german boats rafted up in majorca blasting polka music at us and generally being overbearing in their marauders.

my next charter is hopefully a targa 37 in spain in september
i will be slaloming out of Portals on the plain past the fuel berth and the dive school pick up. i have decided to have a pop in a stinkpot.
see you there.

...It was like that when i found it!

iangrant

Visit site
Oh no - I've seen just as many really prize prats in quite small sailboats and motor boats. One thing that makes em all stand out is when they are wearing their Ocean Jackets in the pub in the evening - Oooooh

Ian

G

My bargain Ocean Jacket turned out to be the top half of a snow ski suit, can I wear that to the pub provided I leave the wellies (black) on board??