Who writes this rubbish?

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com
Aw come on!

Perhaps he should have written: "This is a really dull development which is completely boring and I don't know why I am involved?" Except of course that Andrew actually thinks that the concept of getting a number of yachting magazines across Europe together is really rather good, especially as they are trying to include sailing trials in the next edition.

Also a bit unfair to compare to a politician as in this case the competition had already delivered its first result!

kim_hollamby@ipcmedia.com

G

Re: Awards!!!

All these "awards" are a load of bullshit. Just an excuse for a bit of self publicity and a booze-up! Does anyone take any notice of the results? Ars non desputandum.

Woodpile

Visit site
Re: Aw come on!

Maybe Mr Bla... oops Mr Bray is looking to preside over the judging commission...

(Sorry - just kidding!)

Jacket

I\'m in Cambridge, boat\'s at Titchmarsh marina, W
Visit site

Yes.

Also, winning one is good publicity for the builder. Therefore they want to win, so are more likely to build better boats. Given an earlier thread where everyone was moaning that the RCD was leading to poor quality boats, surely everyone should welcome something that may improve quality.

And if you want proof of it working, Hanse have been winning awards all over the place, and their build quality and general design quality has improved dramatically over the last few years.

And yes, in case you hadn't guessed, I'm getting fed up with the fact that people on this forum do nothing but complain and criticise.

G

What I was trying to say was the sheer number of "awards" demeans their value.

There are half a dozen awards for anything you care to mention. from movies to furniture!

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com

Okay, so name me the half-dozen pan-European awards for yachts. At risk of getting into the na na na na na flow, bottom line is this is a new initiative, it will be valued by the people that win, cursed by those that do not and it will be debated at great length by a pretty high-powered jury.

Let's hope those responsible manage to build on year one and make a really valuable fist of it compared to some of the less valuable awards of the past.

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com

<And yes, in case you hadn't guessed, I'm getting fed up with the fact that people on this forum do nothing but complain and criticise.>

Is that you complaining about them always complaing!!

It's a Britsih disease, imported from America:))

BrendanS

Visit site

Eloquently put, as we'd expect of a journalist. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

We, as consumers, are so used to awards of this sort, that we sometimes forget and underestimate the impact they have on manufacturers.

This type of award has been missing in the boating scene, compared to say car manufacturers, and it will do no harm, and hopefully a great deal of good.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site

I don't know Andrew, but I bet he didn't say "this is an exciting development which brings a much-needed Europe-wide award to the Industry'" That was written by someone who asked him if he would mind putting his name to a quote.

It may be what Andrew believes, but I bet he's more llikely to have said something like "It's about time Europe had a way to choose the boat of the year, and I think its a great idea."

kimhollamby

www.kimhollamby.com

I was sat next door to Andrew when he wrote it; in the press office at Dusseldorf.

I doubt he'd claim that it was the best sentence he ever wrote but I'm afraid that's that really. Anyway, it seems you have got the gist of it as I doubt he would disagree with "It's about time Europe had a way to choose the boat of the year, and I think its a great idea."

Perhaps I'll suggest you take up a position as his PR rep? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

tcm

Visit site
Re: I can write this sort of rubbish

I agree. For a start, all developments (and especially e-developments) are "exciting". Your criticism recognises the need for better rythm in the statement. How about:

"This is a hugely important and exciting initiative which heralds the introduction of a truly pan-european industry award"

or, For release ONLY in UK:
"Let us all applaude this pan-european award that will reward the blood, sweat and tears of those who truly deserve our recognition. Rejoice! Rejoice!"

World stage option:
"I have a dream that this day will be remembered. From all in our industry, from all in this great continent of Europe, and from this day forward, let this be the day on which we looked upon this new award and declared with pride: "Ich bin ein raggie!"

linnet_innit

Visit site

Is there an award for the thread with the most comments on the topic of awards? The hot air award, perhaps, or the 'never mind the weather, I'm going sailing before I'm tempted to read another message on this thread' award? Chaps... you're sailors (aren't you)... how come you are letting yourselves be drawn into the world of awardology? Still, I suppose it makes a change from flag etiquette, or is that still a hot topic? Just popping in on my annual visit to inject a little spume into the wintry chill... defecting from the forum I usually annoy with my sarky remarks. No, really, it's nice to see some familiar names are still around.