Who says you can't polish a turd !!

GrowingLad

Visit site
Who says you can\'t polish a turd !!

It's still an ongoing project and hopefully the next ones will show the improvements inside I've done and actually on the water instead of the trailer but I thought I'd show off me polishing skills /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We've gone from this:

danside2.jpg

To this:

DSC03787.jpg

I used some cutting compound from Boatsheen, unfortunately becuase off a slight mistake with the package the colour restorer and polish didn't turn up so I used a 3M product from local shop.

You need a firm pad for cutting and then a softer one to buff up the cutting compound and then I found a whooly buffing pad worked well with the colour restorer, although a soft pad would have worked well too!

jfm

Visit site
Re: Who says you can\'t polish a turd !!

Wow, fantastic shine. You have just polished old gelcoat, not resprayed it?

I like you black window trim idea. More pics please, inside too!

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk

That's an amazing job; well done.

Can you tell us how you managed to change the climate from Picture 1 (Northern Europe, I'm guessing?) to Picture 2 (Greece?). We'll all be in your debt /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

GrowingLad

Visit site

Yep, just polish of the old Gel coat, it does help if you have a proper sander/polisher with variable speed that can take a bit of work, when you first start using the cutting compound it puts the machine under a bit of pressure. I used a Silverline I think, little bit heavy but it doesn't take long to work your way along the boat...plus I just think of hard work as "Beer Tokens" for later.

The trim is just a kind of hammerite paint, that's how it was many moons ago and being as there isn't much else I can do to tart it up, just did the same, still need to do the forward wheelhouse ones...it does sound dodgy but with a boat like mine which is a bit basic shall we say, it doesn't look bad at all.

Aye, putting the boat on a trailer and driving a few 1000 Km's south helps with the weather....but can you believe it, just after I finished it rained for half hour and it was sandy rain so I had to wash the boat again for the pic's....

I should hopefully get the floor down in the cabin and tidy up the heads this weekend so I'll take a few more snaps....It's the ones of her on the water I'm desperate to take...

FirstLady

Visit site

That looks ace, I love seeing transitions like that. My boat looked even shabbier when I bought her- you couldnt even see the gelcoat for green mould & slime! With a lot of elbow grease she came up like a new pin. I get a real buzz when I see what can be achieved from a seemingly 'dead' boat! What make/model is she?

GrowingLad

Visit site

green mould & slime!

Oh yes, that was the other side /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What make/model is she?

I tell you, the person that answers that question will earn themselves a few beers /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I asked on here about a year ago and we never got anywhere...

We went from Prototype Cleopatra's to Todd Tuna's, even to pratt's boat yard...Believe it or not, where she was laid up there was another one exactly the same (but in even worse condition) over the other side of the creek...The guys over there thought Todd Tuna but I don't think so from chatting with people on here. All I know is she's late 60's early 70's and somewhere in the Essex area....tis a mystery

ari

Visit site

That is a really cool classic boat, I like that very much indeed!

Great job too.

STEVEDUNSTABLE

sites.google.com

DONT put it on the water......... it,ll get dirty!!!!!!!!!.......great job well done..........mine needs your magic touch n QUICK!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

C

Chrusty1

Cracking job, well done you! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif