Whitehaven sea lock

mlthomas

www.yachtconosur.com
Whitehaven marina entrance is via a sea lock, this also forms part of Whitehaven’s town flood defence. In January Whitehaven Marina undertook the second phase of the lock gate maintenance and although the pics look sunny it was minus something and every day they team had to break the ice before they started.
In the unlikely event there was a serious problem with the gates, each pair has an emergency set of shutters that can be lowered into place. These can be seen here
image002.jpg

Its a huge chamber when empty
IMG_6343.jpg

And each gate looks like something from a sci fi set
IMG_6354.jpg

Unlike the control tower which looks like something from stingray – fitting I suppose
IMG_6344.jpg

sarabande

Visit site
Isn't that the lock which had the problems about 18 months ago, and resulted in quite a bit of damage to the pontoons and boats ?

earlybird

Visit site
Isn't that the lock which had the problems about 18 months ago, and resulted in quite a bit of damage to the pontoons and boats ?

No, that was Maryport, about 10 miles up the coast. It was a single flap gate,pivoted at the bottom. The securing bolts pulled out of the masonry, shortly after refurbishment IIRC.

Beadle

Rural Nth Yorks - 2 miles from bus stop, 8 miles f
Visit site
I was based in Maryport some years ago - in the days of West Coast Sailing. There were many problems in those days with the flap gate.

A few times we were unable to get back into the marina. On one occasion the clowns who then ran the place told me to anchor off the harbour - in 25 - 30 knots of wind and a spring flood running.

It started to improve after WCS were thrown out.

Saw a little of the aftermath of the gate failure - very very nasty - it was fortunate that no lives were lost.

It was a pity it was so badly run I rather liked being there, some nice places to go.

mlthomas

www.yachtconosur.com
The previous boat was in Maryport however we decided to have this one here in Whitehaven which was a good move.
Great marina and facilities with really good access via the lock and the boat is very secure.
For those passing by during the summer, the weekend of the 17th June would be a good (but hectic) time to visit
http://www.thewhitehavenfestival.co.uk/
But they always manage to fit everyone in.

jonp

Visit site
Interesting to see pics of such a structure which I only normally view when full of water(!!) ......out of interest what is access like to Whitehaven in terms of hours either side of high water?

Signed Out

Visit site
I was looking at moving here, but the 90 miles or minimum 1.5 hours drive via Keswick put me off. Trains OK, with station near marina, but times not good from south.

The tidal access is the best in the NW though, with being most of the way around except a bit either side of low, as opposed to a tiny bit around high in Mogum Bay.

May still head there in the long run if my present plan doesn't work out. Some interesting boats there- lots of "proper" offshore type boats there.

mlthomas

www.yachtconosur.com
Interesting to see pics of such a structure which I only normally view when full of water(!!) ......out of interest what is access like to Whitehaven in terms of hours either side of high water?

The outer harbour does dry out so there are times of no access, but this isn't for too long. We will go/arrive three hours either side of high tide with no problems, we draw just over 2M and the hight over the bar (outer harbour) is around 4M at springs. The good thing is you can always call the lock control and ask then what the depth at the bar is.

mrjemm, do it, the roads from the south of the county are not good, nearly as fast to go round than come through. Its worth the extra travel.

Signed Out

Visit site
mrjemm, do it, the roads from the south of the county are not good, nearly as fast to go round than come through. Its worth the extra travel.

Thanks for that. It's very tempting still, as the amount of time with water around the Bay is tiny, and seeing some shocking tidal flows out here. No wonder so many boats have suffered the lee shore and perished through history on the banks and beaches around the Bay.

It's just so nice to be near enough to home that I can cycle down to potter. Or back when I've forgotten something. Perhaps as summer home next year, and winter locally.

Very convenient with the huge Tesco next door though.

Clarky

Visit site
My draught is 4 ft and generally I bet on about 4 hours either side of high water,sometimes a bit more at springs.Whitehaven lock will calculate it for you,and they will take into account rough weather where you might have a bit less in troughs.