Which Radar Set to Buy?

G

I am planning on buying a new radar set shortly and an looking at a CRT device and reasonable size screen (10") and 4 foot open scanner. I read the recent report in MBY, but was wondering if any body had any other recommendations or knows of any other recent reviews? For example they did not cover any Koden sets.

G

Have not tried many sets but we have the Raytheon with 4' open scanner and large CRT. It works very well, no problems. Haven't managed to master the collision avoidance features, the manual is like a video recorder x10 so never had the time. It interfaces well with GPS plotter so waypoints show on radar screen.

Only thought is, the 4' open scanner is heavy. Not therefore possible to mount it on a post so as to lift it 3' above radar arch, so getting it above level of crew's heads. On reflection, I sometimes wonder if we should sacrifice the top performance of the 4' open scanner, and get something less godd but lighter so we can mount it on a post on the radar arch. Whether that's an issue for you depends on design of your boat

G

I have the Koden though not an open array model. It works very well. Just remember all the crap talked about ranges is just crap. Range depends on height and in my experience one never needs more than 12 miles anyway, most times we stinkpotters are fairly coastal and 6 miles is the optimum setting.

G

Agree with you, Byron. Not even a radar can see round a bend but the longer range radars tend to give better performance at the shorter ranges needed for collision avoidance

G

Agreed too. The LCD sets are fine when needed, but seem poor only in sun when not needed. Suggest regular pratting about, calibrating, detecting number of seagulls behind and so on in clear weather so all nice and easy in the gloom or fog. We have a badly raed Ahelm, but it works fine. In real fog and busy coast a mile or two maximum is our area of interest.

G

Having played with, and used in anger, a number of makes, Rayhtheon stands head and shoulders above the rest.

Meanwhile, 3 considerations.

If the screen is likely to get wet, ensure it's waterproof. Many a good circuit board has blown in a costly way, when water has found its way around the edge of the screen and into the electronics behind.

Next is how the scanner is mounted. Remember the boat will have a range of trim attitudes when moving, from zero degrees at displacement to around 5 or 6 degrees on the plane. If the scanner is not mounted to achieve a good average, you will limit your forward view....but have a great view aft! Possibly best to mount it a few degrees down at the nose and test.

Last is the concern over screens and the effect of sun. Sometimes when in fog, you may be severely limited in forward visibility but still able to see the sun reasonably clear, above you. Hence, the sun can help obliterate even the most clear of screens unless well shielded and shaded.

Piers

G

As the bloke who writes Electronics Reviews for MBY every month, I hope you won't mind me sticking my oar in...

There's nothing sinister about the absence of the Koden from that review. I wanted to include one, but Marconi couldn't supply it in time. Ditto the Furuno: I invited them to participate, but they declined.