Which fog horn?

Quandary

Visit site
Took the boat through the canal this morning but when I got the rusty foghorn out of the gas locker it would only squeak politely so I could not wake up the bridge keepers. It is a gas (propane?) cartridge horn, similar to Plastimo, purchased from a chandlers and on the sunny West Coast of Scotland is rarely needed for fog. I am not that happy about using propane just to make a noise, so can anyone recommend a better alternative. I rarely need the thing except in the canal but want to have something in case I ever need to attract attention.
The choices seem to be
Rechargable air horn with pump and refillable canister.
Direct air horn with integral pump (or big mouth).
Disposable canister air horn, seems to be marketed to football supporters.
Mobo type 12v. electric horn, probably overkill for my needs?
Horn accessory to my Std. Horizon Vhf, referred to in the manual though I have never seen one, overkill as above?
Any recommendations of products or suppliers, something that will survive years of neglect probably rattling about in the gas locker under the cockpit seat until called upon?

Woodlouse

Visit site
The gas will be at worst CO2. I doubt anyone would try a propane powered fog horn.

I once saw a ships auxiliary manual fog horn for sale at the Southhampton boat show. You wound the thing up like an air raid siren and then pressed a lever to make a fantastically loud toot. If you locked the lever down you had a siren. It was brilliant and I still to this day regret not buying it there and then. Never seen one since.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
I use a 12v car horn mounted on a piece of wood with a handle & push button and it plugs into a 12v socket. I also added a label reminding me of the various signals - in case I forget................(frequently nowadays)

Seajet

Visit site
Fog horns

I have a cannister powered job I've never used, as I decided a long time ago fog is not fun so I try to avoid it.

However I'm quite sure serious fog would outlast the can, so also have a plastic thing like a poor man's trumpet, made for the job, from a chandlery.

No moving parts, and will last as long as the crew's breath; so if fog was forecast and I took one or two club members I can think of, it would outlast nuclear power !

dt4134

Visit site
A propane fog horn would be fun. Could double up as a good imitation of a signal cannon. Just give it to one of the smokers in your crew and send him up to the bow.

I've used a few of the gas cylinder canisters and not too keen on them. They seem to run out quickly and get pretty cold when in use. I bought one of the Ecoblast rechargeable ones and it is loud enough and not too difficult to refill regularly.

A guess a 12V one would be good, but might be harder to send it up to the bow with a volunteer when you get fed up of the noise.

Quandary

Visit site
Gas Horn

The old one definitely was either propane or butane, there was always a good whiff of petroleum gas when it sounded, the horn itself is plastic without a name, the branding (American) was all printed on the canister including a warning about not smoking.
Edit. a google search reveals that it is butane because it can be stored as a liquid in large volume at relatively low pressure, apparently not the case with permitted non. flammable gases.

Last edited:

dhippey

Visit site
I'll second the vote for the Trump.

It takes no effort to blow, you could easily blow it all day.
It has no pressurised gas canister that can run out or freeze up just when you need it.

Plus they are cheap as chips.

Excellent bit of kit.

Regards,
David H.

PS only 31 days before I set off on the big trip. If you can please sponsor me. My employer is willing to match funds given up to a max of £500, so in effect your donation gets doubled!! See http://www.justgiving.com/David-Hippey-Scotland

Have you heard about my project this summer? See www.eventoftheyear.co.uk
Please pass this on to your friends

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Any recommendations of products or suppliers, something that will survive years of neglect probably rattling about in the gas locker under the cockpit seat until called upon?

I have never had any problem attracting lock- and bridge- keepers' attention with one of these. Costs a fiver and the one I used on the Jouster (reasonable offer accepted!) did me for twenty five years.

16183.jpg

dhippey

Visit site
I have never had any problem attracting lock- and bridge- keepers' attention with one of these. Costs a fiver and the one I used on the Jouster (reasonable offer accepted!) did me for twenty five years.

16183.jpg

They are good for attracting attention as you say UG.
But very tiring to keep going for any long period in poor vis.

Regards,
David H.

Have you heard about my project this summer? See www.eventoftheyear.co.uk
Please pass this on to your friends

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
Please, not a plastic one. Make it a brass one that you can polish during the winter and pass on to the kids. Bought ours for our first boat, now 30+ years old and still getting polished.

PlankWalker

Visit site
My 30 year old brass one has a lovely verdigris patina and when I run out off puff I stick it on the end of my Avon pump and let the thigh muscle do the work.

Plank