Which dehumifier ?

Tremlett 15

Visit site
Thinking of getting a new dehumifier to replace the old one, for use in our cruiser during this winter,

looking at a Meaco DD122FW which was a PBO best buy,

any advise or recommendations ?

AHoy2

Visit site
Also just purchased a Meaco DD122FW and very pleased with it so far. Compact and light weight, acceptably quiet but it does give out a bright eerie glow from the inbuilt blue "operating" light - enough to light the complete interior of the boat at night like an alien ship.

AHoy2.

paul_hanson

Visit site
As luck would have it!

& just to prove we at MBM try to please, there will be a 5 page test on dehumidifiers in next months December issue. We've taken 6 of the most popular units down to Raymarine's environmental test facility to see how they compare.

mm1

Visit site
& just to prove we at MBM try to please, there will be a 5 page test on dehumidifiers in next months December issue. We've taken 6 of the most popular units down to Raymarine's environmental test facility to see how they compare.
Well done MBM a month late but hey ho keep up the good work! for god's sake MBM now is your time, your magazine should be shining,get some interesting stuff in there & the advertises will come back,sorry about thread drift,mm1

Last edited:

paul_hanson

Visit site
Well done MBM a month late but hey ho keep up the good work! for god's sake MBM now is your time, your magazine should be shining

Many thanks for your encouragement, have armed myself with some pledge and am buffing up the next issue. Hope you'll like it!

ontheplane

Visit site
Why does everyone use these electric ones??

I don't like the idea of having something like that plugged into the power while i'm not about - Greenhouse heaters are not so bad, but these things use a fair bit of power and there are plenty of examples of them catching fire....

I always use the silica crystal traps.... Put 4 or 5 around the boat, and they need checking about once every 2 months.

I have used them for years - about £3 each, and they pull out an amazing amount of moisture - and completely safe, and no power use.

Works well, boats and caravans I have used them in are always nice and dry and mildew free... never had a problem.

I use 3 in the main cabin, one in the heads and a couple dotted about - brill

jfm

Visit site
Definitely the Meaco DD122FW imho. I've had a few, and that one seems by far the best. I'm about to order some for new boat

aquatom

Visit site
Whichever one you buy make sure that when you switch the power off then back on is restarts. Most of the ones with the manual twisty knobs are fine but a lot of the electronic push button ones won't restart.

Hurricane

Visit site
Definitely the Meaco DD122FW imho. I've had a few, and that one seems by far the best. I'm about to order some for new boat

Out of stock at the moment so they are offering this one for the same price.
http://www.meaco.com/proddetail.asp?prod=XDry
Well - thats what they did fom me.
Cant see that there's much technical difference - its a bit bigger but that all.
It arrived yesterday and works - what else can I say?

BlueChip

Visit site

Hope your test included operation with ambient temperatures near freezing?

kcrane

Visit site

The Meaco I bought 3 weeks ago is humming quietly on the boat as we speak, seems pretty much a full house of recommendations

paul_hanson

Visit site
Hope your test included operation with ambient temperatures near freezing?

As i understand it, when they get near freezing they all pack up because the coil is even cooler. Probably why some people use a heater too. We tested at 8° which is near the minimum and 18°. Its all in the test

BlueChip

Visit site
As i understand it, when they get near freezing they all pack up because the coil is even cooler. Probably why some people use a heater too. We tested at 8° which is near the minimum and 18°. Its all in the test

Hmm. I hope you included a dessicant type dehumidifier such as x-dry in your tests? These work right down to 1 degrees C which is a typical Jan/Feb temperature in an unheated boat, thats why these are so popular with boaters. The coil doesnt freeze because they dont use a coil.

Last edited:

enterprise

Visit site
Get an absorption dehumidifier, better at lower temperatures, no coil to freeze up etc, by product is a slight amount of heat, so no need to add a heater to get the best extraction temp as you would with a normal coil type.

Been using an Amberdry (same as x-dry) for over five winter seasons now, boat is always dry and warm when we board, can highly recommend them.

honeybee

Visit site
Totaly new to dehumidifiers and need to buy one asap as the boat today was very cold and moist in the downstairs cabin.

Is the Meaco DD122FW MK 3 the latest version ?

& does it:
- Work in low temps
- Can you adjust it so it only comes on at a certain humidity
- Does it have an external drain & come with a pipe to connect to it
- does it have a timer built in
- where in the cabin does it work best, on the floor of level with the sink

Hope you can help before I place an order.

Any one found one cheaper that £159 ?

Chris