Where to stay near Portsmouth to watch the America's Cup

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
We have tickets to watch the America's Cup Sailing on the Sunday. My plan is to stay somewhere near Portsmouth on Saturday night (having driven down from London), and then get the train into Portsmouth for the sailing and back to get the car in the evening.

As I am not familiar with Portsmouth and its surrounds, could someone tell me if this is reasonable plan?

How far is the sailing area from the station?

Is there a nice village on the correct line that we can stay on Saturday?

Thanks

TudorSailor

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
You would be well advised to check exactly which lines Network Rail are planning to dig up that weekend. Going west the trains stop at Cosham, Portchester, Fareham. Going east Havant then Petersfield. None of which can reasonably be described as a village. Also about 30 minutes walk from the Southsea sea front to either of the stations. There is a big new park-and-ride scheme next to the motorway on the edge of the city which might be simpler. Without the need to be near a station you have much more freedom about where to stay.

PhillM

Visit site
Trans to / from London have been a nightmare recently. Try to avoid if you can.

As DJE says, the nicer places to stay are easier to reach by car.

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Train engineering works aside... I think I might be tempted to overnight in Chichester if I wanted a handy overnight stop... There's a Travelodge right by the station.. Main line to Pompey (Victoria line) so Harbour station is just 20 or 30 mins.. Then either taxi or walk to Seafront viewing area...

PhillM

Visit site
Train engineering works aside... I think I might be tempted to overnight in Chichester if I wanted a handy overnight stop... There's a Travelodge right by the station.. Main line to Pompey (Victoria line) so Harbour station is just 20 or 30 mins.. Then either taxi or walk to Seafront viewing area...

Eastleigh same, travel lodge opposite the station. Direct trains to Portsmouth (I think).

emsworthy

Visit site
5 mins walk from the seafront and BAR headquarters and 20 mins from the seating - book immediately I should think

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...ude_Cottage-Portsmouth_Hampshire_England.html

If no vacancies and you're considering a village then there's Emsworth with good connections to Portsmouth - about 25 minutes - but can't comment on railworks.

The Brookfield at Emsworth is a great independent hotel and a short drive or longer stroll to the station. http://www.brookfieldhotel.co.uk/home

haydude

Visit site
How can they sell tickets to sit on public grounds to watch an event happening in public waters? Is it even legal?

rptb1

tammynorie.wordpress.com
Eastleigh same, travel lodge opposite the station. Direct trains to Portsmouth (I think).
There are, but just to warn you that branch is often subject to delays. Not usually very significant ones, but allow some extra time. (I think this is because the main line trains get priority at the junctions.)