Where to start, for an absolute beginner?

DD87

Visit site
Hello all!

So I have zero experience with boats except a day on the Norfolk broads but I am very keen to learn!

I would like to have a moderate sized powerboat in the not too distant future... a bavaria 32 sport or similar but I don't really know where to start.

Fortunately, I'm not naive enough to just buy a boat and have a bash at it. I would just like some guidance on how to start.

All advice and suggestions welcome!

Thanks

lpdsn

Visit site
Hello all!

So I have zero experience with boats except a day on the Norfolk broads but I am very keen to learn!

I would like to have a moderate sized powerboat in the not too distant future... a bavaria 32 sport or similar but I don't really know where to start.

Fortunately, I'm not naive enough to just buy a boat and have a bash at it. I would just like some guidance on how to start.

All advice and suggestions welcome!

Thanks

Start by crewing for someone. There's a crewing forum on here where you could put your name forward. There's also a MoBo forum if you are specifically interested in powerboating. And an East Coast forum if you're specifically interested in sailing in shallow muddy water.

Kelpie

Visit site
Welcome! You might be best off posting in the motorboat section of the forum, but some general advice would be:
- get out crewing on other people's boats first, maybe via a local club, so that you can get a taste of what is involved without the expense and commitment. You might also be able to get out on different types of boat and in different locations.
- decide where/how you are going to keep the boat. You may want a small trailer sailer that lives in your driveway and can be used in different locations. A bigger boat, like you suggest, will need a pontoon or swing mooring, and that may cost a fair bit to organise.
- consider doing some training with one of the RYA schools. Most practical types can get through a day skipper with a little homework, otherwise there is competent crew, and powerboat-specific courses such as powerboat level 2. These courses set you on a good path but remember they are just a starting point- the real learning process happens when you are out there on your own!

Good luck :D

Visit site
Youtube.

Think of a subject and search for it on Youtube. Reefing? Anchoring? Just search for it and it'll be there. There are loads of old instructional vids on there too. And a pile of dross from people who think they're amusing, but they're easy to spot.
After that, come back here and ask as many silly questions as you like. Hours of fun before you even part with any money!

William_H

Visit site
Well to me one of the joys of boating is that you cna start ignorant and learn by your own mistakes logic etc. However you can also learn much quicker with a training course. As it happens here in Oz that is mandatory to get a skipper's ticket. (required). However even that is only the start of a long learning curve until you stop. The requirement for a skipper's ticket cam about becuase so many people think if the boat has a wheel and a throttle it must be as easy as a car to drive. Actually much easier overall but much more different with different lkessons to learn.
A training course might also help you get a feel for what kind of boat you want. Sure buy small and get a better idea of what you ultimately want however it is far better to make your first boat your last. (very unlikely to acheive). Just go for it and enjoy the learning maybe go all the way and buy a real boat with mast and sails. olewill