where to moor

andrew215

Visit site
Is there a good (please read also..inexpensive) place to moor
close (as close as I can get with a 50' masted sail) to the tower? If so, where is it? Also does tower bridge have opening times? thanks in advance.

byron

RIP
Visit site
You can moor outside St Katherines on a bouy for free, you draw too much at low tide for the inside of the pontoon. The Tower Bridge will open for you but you have to give 24 hours notice, if you did go through there's nothing for you there anyway, so best avoid that idea.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Just a thought, arrangements can be made to moor at Butlers Wharf directly opposite St Katherines and under the shadow of Tower Bridge, whom one contacts and what they charge I cannot say. The only time I have been on that berth is when I put a 140' ocean going motor yacht there on behalf of someone else and the arrangements had already been made.

ianc1200

Visit site
A few years ago I went down river from Kingston in my friend's Daglass Fleurs De Lys (a 50' version) and he moored on the pontoon for the hotel, immediately below Tower Bridge. I said you can't moor here! but he did, and nobody came to tell us to go away.

IanC

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
A few years ago I went down river from Kingston in my friend's Daglass Fleurs De Lys (a 50' version) and he moored on the pontoon for the hotel, immediately below Tower Bridge. I said you can't moor here! but he did, and nobody came to tell us to go away.

IanC

[/ QUOTE ]

You are OK there from about 10pm to 10am. The inside is always free but it drops down to about 4' on low tides, add passing wash and its no place to be.