Where to launch a J80 in Portsmouth

Softwing

Visit site
Hi All,
I can't exactly be described as a prolific contributor to these pages but I now seek your advice, or more precisely my son does.
Since last summer my elder son, 19 just a few days ago, has taken over the role of skipper of the J80 of the Cercle Nautique Honfleur (CNH). If you came to Honfleur last summer he was the tall blond blue-eyed youngster taking your mooring fees.
He is currently taking his "state" instructor qualification. He is also very involved with the setting up of the new sailing school in Honfleur which means that since January he is often sailing at least 6 days a week.
The CNH are very supportive, both in terms of practical help and financially to the progress of the J80. A local school with a strong Sports section are also seriously involved and Pierre-Louis ('tis his name) is coaching two other crews to ensure continuation.
That's the background. The J80 is being trailored to the Uk to take part in Cowes Week (8th to 15th August for the J80) for the first time. They will have two support sailing boats with them coming by sea, to act as living quarters.
To minimise costs they would trail the boat via Newhaven to Portsmouth or thereabouts. They would then sail it from, say, Pompey to Cowes where they will have a berth.
Where is the best place to get the boat into the water?
Thank you for taking the time to read all this.
As an aside in the next few days I hope to celebrate my 68th summer ( I am an old geezer of a Dad). I offered to come to Cowes with Pierre-Louis to help out but he , very politely, declined. I wonder why.
Thanks all in advance
Reg

lw395

Visit site
KB Boats at the Camber Dock are a possibility.
I assume it needs lifting in?
There is also a slipway there where people launch smaller keelboats on trolleys, if the trailer is good to launch from.
I would phone them not just turn up.
Southsea Marina another possibility.
Port Solent and Wickor also possible but 6 miles up harbour.

Gosport Boatyard are good, but sometimes get booked up and other places may be cheaper for a smallish boat.
Also all the places on the Hamble, such as Deacon's.
Don't forget you will need somewhere to leave the trailer etc for the duration, which may cost a bit.
Good Luck.

jac

Visit site
Would suggest somewhere like Deacons on the Hamble. Easy to get to from the road ( Pompey or Gosport involve drives in heavy traffic which they may want to avoid with a trailer in a foreign country) Also parking on sight can probably be arranged. Then not far down the Hamble and across to Cowes.

Tranona

Visit site
Another vote for Hamble Point. Drive off the ferry at Portsmouth and straight onto the motorway . short drive from motorway to Hamble in relatively traffic free road (compared to Gosport and Portsmouth), car parking - but may be a bit pricey!

PhillM

Visit site
Another vote for Hamble Point. Drive off the ferry at Portsmouth and straight onto the motorway . short drive from motorway to Hamble in relatively traffic free road (compared to Gosport and Portsmouth), car parking - but may be a bit pricey!

If you use one of the Hamble or Southampton marinas you might need trailer parking. If they don't offer you a decent deal, you can leave your trailer here pretty cheaply and safely. It's about a 10 - 15 min drive.

http://www.roddingtonforge.co.uk/4.html