Where to go Colne/Blackwater

Gumpy

Visit site
I know that this question has been asked and answered many times but possibly not for the type of boat that I have.
Firstly the boat is a 20m barge , large and heavy.
Secondly I am looking at the end of August begining of Sept.
Having spoken to the harbour master I realise that going into Brightlingsea might be a bit problamtical, so weather permitting intend to anchor off Mersea stone.
Are there any other places that I might be able to go to without disrupting the locals?
Heybridge looks a possibilty provided its not full, does anyone have any others?

Julian

ianc1200

Visit site
Julian

When you coming over? Are you coming through Havengore this time?

We're away Thames boating for three weeks, but should be around the Blackwater after then.

regards

IanC

MoodySabre

Visit site
There is often a Dutch barge on the Blackwater - I don't know where he goes. If you don't draw much then alongside a Thames barge at Maldon or anchoring off Osea Island. There are often barges anchored there. You can anchor off Bradwell marina too. There is a buoy just off Pewitt Island which belongs to Bradwell Outdoors Centre (they had Gipsy Moth IV on it last month). They might let you use it if you give them a call 01621776256. You could then use your tender to enjoy the Green Man pub.

Gumpy

Visit site
Weather permitting!
Leave Bow 6am on the 24th August, have booked the lighter at Queenborough that evening, leaving there early the next morning heading for Brightlingsea area. Nothing planned after that as yet but will be before I leave Bow. Not intending to do Havengore this time but things do change.

I intended to go up the Thames this year but Caro said no she likes the east coast......

Going to have a look by road sometime over the next 3 weekends.

Julian

nortonmotors

Visit site
Why not try Rowhedge, alongside The Anchor ? A barge (Pudge ??) often lies there so the bottom is soft. I'm not sure how often she's there so perhaps someone will add a more informed comment.
Pub food is good, as is the beer.
At 20M, navigation should be interesting too !