Where to anchor in Portsmouth

MacMan

sailtoanywhere.blogspot.com
Despite kicking around the Solent for a few years I have never Anchored in Portsmouth. Is there anywhere "nice"

Preferably where you can get ashore to a decent pub.

Failing both of the above is there anywhere where people anchor at all. We can dry being a cat and only draw 0.8m but would prefer not to if we don't have to.

gerryl

Visit site
Try Portchester, just in front of the Castle. Good holding in the same mud that the Romans used and usualy very quiet - apart from the regular traffic up to Port Solent. Good trip ashore to the Castle which is well worth a visit and a really decent pub just round the corner. Alternatively, dinghy up to Port Solent for more noise but more choice

lw395

Visit site
There is not much anchorage in the harbour, lots of it taken up with moorings, large areas where anchoring is verboten, some pretty awful mud and debris in the drying areas. Portchester sounds like the best bet, or maybe up towards Fareham if you can get under the power lines.
Alternatively, try Hardway SC for a visitors berth. You have a good chance of borrowing a vacant mooring this time of year!
The Camber dock by the Bridge Tavern is being dredged, so probably no go for a while, but that is a pretty good pub in many ways. A reasonable place to go alongside, but can be busy and I don't know what you'll get charged.
Langstone and Chichester harbours have better access to nicer pubs. IMHO!

Bav34

Visit site
Can't think of anywhere to anchor AND float ... all the best places are taken.

If you want a pub or club there are two places that spring to mind.

The Jolly Roger is on the waterfront and is very popular. There is a free public pontoon a short stagger upstream ... just down from Hardway Sailing Club. You could perhaps stop for lunch on a spring tide or dinner on a neap. Then do what I do ... go and pick up an empty bouy. I've read people on here saying that's unacceptable .... they've paid for it ... it's theirs ... blah blah ... but I really don't see the problem provided you don't leave your boat unattended.

We often come back and find people on ours ... usually having lunch ... they move to another vacant bouy within minutes and usually with a laugh. Don't see the problem.

OR

You could go onto the Hardway Sailing Club pontoon HSC and visit their bar. Charges apply but I don't think that the end of their pontoon dries on a neap.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Hi, The Pontoon just south of the Hardway sailing club belongs to Gosport Boatyard. Mooring holders are allowed along side for a maximum of half an hour. It is not a public pontoon, - unless you described another one. I think there might be a few upset people about if you block them coming into get water etc!!!!

As others have said, near Portchester Castle - and go ashore for an explore round the Castle. Pub is a short walk in to the Village (Cormorant)

Bav34

Visit site
No, the pontoon to the south of Hardway is PUBLIC.

see here

and

Hardway.jpg

Stemar

Visit site
The end of HSC's pontoon is around chart datum, so you won't be afloat at low springs unless you draw 3/5th of not very much, but it is soft mud most of the way up the pontoon, so even fin keels sit upright. Do get a visitor's card (from the bar, deposit required), 'cos the pontoon gate is supposed to be kept locked and is quite hard to climb round (and the mud is deep and yucky...)

I wouldn't trust the public pontoon to dry out alongside as there are likely to be all sorts of things dumped in the mud by the local intelligentsia.

Bav34

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't trust the public pontoon to dry out alongside as there are likely to be all sorts of things dumped in the mud by the local intelligentsia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Living in sight of the pontoon I am happy to report that we haven't dumped all sorts of things in the mud.

Also I never suggested drying alongside the pontoon as the OP said he preferred not to.