Where in UK for cheap moorings for 3 months

FerrymanR

Visit site
Can anyone point me to which part of uk is likely to provide a relatively cheap liveaboard mooring for about 3 months whilst I prepare the boat and wait for my pension to commence at which point we will be going to the med. This will be for the period July to September. 35 ft sloop. I would prefer South West but am flexible.
Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>

Forbsie

Visit site
If you will consider the Thames at Twickenham, try Eel Pie Slipways on 020 8891 4481 (Ken). I'm £9/week for 25' from a neighbouring yard which couldn't handle your size. Ken seems to have loads of liveaboards on his moorings and I'm sure could give you a good price.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.arweb.co.uk/argallery/forbsie?&page=1>My Project</A>

jeanne

Visit site
Bristol Harbour (not the marina) has proved popular as a wintering place with blue water cruising friends. Right in the centre of the city, pontoon or wall berths, friendly harbour staff...I don't know the exact cost, but a lot cheaper than marinas and convenient.

<hr width=100% size=1>

FerrymanR

Visit site
I do have a set of legs although it is a fin keel. If the mud is very gooey it is not as stable as bilge keels. Like the idea of Faversham as it is only 20 something miles North of where I'm at now in Dover (in the house not on the boat).
Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
I overwintered in Faversham one year. The mud is soft enough up at Lower Brents for a fin keeler to settle. Plenty of liveaboards but the usual rule, don't tell them that in advance.

The really cheap option in Dover is to go out on the anchorage! More seriously, a viable alternative from there are the nearer French ports: (i) Boulogne marina, locked, about ½ the price of Dover, (ii) Gravelines marina, very soft mud, about ¼ the price of Dover.

<hr width=100% size=1>

FerrymanR

Visit site
Thanks for the wealth of suggestions. We are now contacting various of the authorities to see what they can offer.
As a post script I might comment that I find many of the most useful yards/marinas etc. don't have an internet presence aand those that do seem reluctant to list their charges. There was one reply that quoted a phone number. This has saved a lot of time in that case. Even finding who handles the moorings in some areas has involved up to 20 phone calls!
Thanks all
Richard

<hr width=100% size=1>

andy_wilson

Visit site
Dartmouth visitor rates are a fraction of that. You would have to pay annual harbour dues of about £75, but thereafter the summer rates are pretty good.

Around £1 / m / day.

<hr width=100% size=1>

FerrymanR

Visit site
DiverTitch wrote some time ago:
------
By the old power station wall at Poole lots of room 10m boat would cost £25 a week.
------
We are wondering where the old power station is - Poole harbour is extensive. Have you coordinates and/or a contact number. I down that way in a few days time.

<hr width=100% size=1>