Where in the UK would you overwinter?

stevie69p

Visit site
Next year, 2021, it is my hope to set off in early May and do some proper exploring of Britain and Ireland by boat. A kind of semi retirement that could be repeated in following years if it pleases.

My tentative plan at this stage is to spend 5 months cruising, then return to work at the beginning of October. I have been thinking about moving the boat from its' usual marina in the west of Scotland to somewhere else to spend the winter months, just for a change of scenery and maybe even some slightly less rubbish weather. I can relocate to just about anywhere in the UK for work, as it's short term contracts that I do, but there always seems to be far more work available in the south of England, so ideally somewhere that's close to large conurbations or not too far to be travelled each day during the week. Needs to be liveaboard friendly, have decent showers and toilets and car parking. I visited Bristol earlier this year while working down that way and that looked interesting to maybe spend a winter there, but would love to hear others' ideas of good places to stay. Even better if the marina had a 6 month winter rate deal on the go too...

[3889]

Visit site
Milford Haven: cheap, reasonable facilities and transport links within walking distance, well sheltered, protected sailing area plus beautiful day sail destinations in better weather.
Does lack the cachet of the S coast, though, if that bothers you.

V1701

Visit site
I'd second Milford Haven, really friendly and very reasonable. Bristol you won't get anything in the city but Portishead is a possibility. If you're doing short term contracts all over though that's in a way your main consideration because most marinas have a few quiet liveaboards and there are few who absolutely will not tolerate any. So I think if I were you I'd go somewhere where the transport will be relatively easy...

GHA

Visit site
Wintered in numerous spots onboard. Limehouse in London is pretty good if you want close to everything, not so sure about car parking. St Kats used to be OK but thinks that's not so small yacht friendly anymore. Brighton another option. Further afield Dartmouth was lovely and a good price, though full brunt of the lows coming in from the Atlantic. Gosport pretty cheap but, well, it's s £$%^hole of a place ;)

Yngmar

Visit site
Brighton is well connected and big supermarket nearby, so very easy to provision. You're a bit out of town (bicycle distance if you have), but reasonable bus links available. Car is more of a hindrance here though. Downside is, it's built below the cliff out into the ocean and the winter gales come right in. You will have shelter from waves (some swell on west side berths), but waves break over the walls and the wind will hit you unhindered. Best berths are halfway in on the east jetty. There'll definitely be a few sleep-deprived nights, which probably doesn't mix well with work.

Plymouth Yacht Haven is sheltered better than it looks, but quite remote - you're on the wrong side of the water and it's a long ride around on land or a short walk to the water taxi to get across into town. Not much around on the Mountbatten side apart from the marina pub. With a car, this might be a good option though if you don't mind the drive. Very good marine services all around though, if you're looking to get some boat work done over winter, Plymouth is the town for it.

Falmouth Haven is very well sheltered, supermarkets in walking distance, car parking lot. Facilities should be done being overhauled by now. Perhaps a bit far west for finding work? Also, it was usually near full when we were there, so inquire early.

Portland is a nice marina too, very good facilities, although make sure you get a berth near them - very long walk otherwise. No idea how liveaboard friendly they are or how the shelter is in winter. Probably better than Brighton though. Plenty of parking and not a long ride into Weymouth, which was a town we liked.

stevie69p

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies so far; certainly food for thought and a couple of suggestions I wouldn't probably have thought about. I think Milford Haven would be too far out of the way of where work would be likely to be found. Portishead is an interesting one as it's commutable distance to a few areas that I've already had contracts in over the winter months, and it wasn't even on my radar. It would be nice to still be able to get out for sailing at the weekends if there is any decent weather, though that's a bit hit and miss. Instead of liveaboard, I will market myself as 'continuous cruiser resting over the winter' haha.

Pete7

Visit site
Berthon in Lymington normally out of our budget during the summer, offer a winter rate called casual or something, which was £20 a day for us incl electric and very posh showers. We spent Christmas there and very enjoyable it was too.

emandvee44

Visit site
Not much around on the Mountbatten side apart from the marina pub.

Pity the Marina bar does not like yachties - or at least people who look like yachties:cool:
You must have missed the Clovelly Bay Inn, just a short walk upstream it was an excellent pub (can't say if it still is but no doubt someone on here has current info.

I have kept a boat in QAB, Mayflower, Millbay and the last year (2009/2010) before we went South, Plymouth Yacht Haven; great marina and quite a few liveaboards I believe. Agree on the points above re location and accessibility. Its greatest asset IMHO is the shelter it affords.
M.

emandvee44

Visit site
Used to be three pubs in Mountbatten, plus the Marina Bar when we were there. I take it they have shut down now?
It is out of the way from Plymouth Centre, but it did mean you could soon be on beautiful coastal walks

Going back a bit, (when we were alongside your boat in the yard:)) the Boringdon Arms was the place to go for real ale and good food. However I believe it changed ownership and may be different now. It does have the advantage of accommodation, if you need it.
Boringdon Arms, Plymouth
Clovelly Bay Inn - Home
The Mountbatten pub/bar/restaurant is close to the ferry jetty, but being modern is not my cup of tea(or glass of ale). The trip advisor ratings for terrible almost exceed those for excellent.
M.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
Another, albeit very dated recommendation for London in general and Limehouse in particular; I've no idea what the mooring rates are like nowadays, or indeed if there are even places available, but early in our cruising, we had a fabulous winter moored in Limehouse and as the OP also wants, both easily found work; London-weighted pay rates without the associated mortgage/commuting costs went down very well.