Where has common courtesy gone in sailing?

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Is it just me or has some of the common courtesy gone out of sailing.

In the last couple of days I helped two boats in by taking lines and tying them on. On both occasions not even a quick "thank you". It is if I wasn't there.

I also watched several boats racing each other trying to get to the quay first in case there was no other space. One was even trying to overtake another in a marina, his engine full blast!

Then the other night a boat came in nearly taking my stern off. I had to physically hold it off scraping all my elbow in doing so. He again didn't even acknowledge me.
We were tied on at the end of a quay so his stern was at 90 degrees to mine but only a few feet away as he was overhanging the quay. 4 times a day he would turn his engine on for an hour or so. I put up with it for the first 3 times but then the wind blew all his exhaust fumes into our boat. It was so bad we had to get off.
I went to complain and he said he had problems with his batteries and lots of food in his two fridges. The food would go off if he did not run his engine. I explained we were being gassed but he refused to listen. I said go and anchor and run your engine all day but he said he had a problem with his dinghy. (we later saw him using it without problem).
He also had a wind generator (the noisy sort) which went all day.
This man just would not listen so I said I was calling the port Police. He then turned his engine off but got a generator out and ran this instead.

He was without doubt the most ignorant sailor I had ever met (it was a German boat by the way).

Have you met sailors who are just plain ignorant and give sailing a bad name and is common courtesy amongst sailors disappearing?

Seajet

Visit site
I have been sailing cruisers for a fair while and while one will always meet a fair share of prats, I've never had anything like that !

I actually think around my way ( Chichester / Solent ) there was a bit of a dip in manners a few years ago - funnily enough coinciding with lots of very well off ' I'm alright Jack ' people - but nowadays I find 99% of people are a lot more considerate in their actions and say ' Good Morning ' again; this includes large-ish mobo's who were frankly a menace when I started in boats but have shown a huge improvement in manners and knowledge over the last 20 years.

Maybe those boat owners tempted to run a generator in port have mostly read these forums and know they'll be lucky if the cork is only inserted in the engine exhaust ! :)

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
One of the worst we had was in Siracusa some years back ( no he wasn't an Italian ) and not to start another national war I won't say.
We was on the town wall only two boats, and any one who know Siracusa know it a long wall , we was stern on, with a big gap between us, the other boat got out his generated and set almost behind our boat and started it, off he went to do what ever, I was about to go and ask him to move it before it accidentally fell onto the drink when it stop and wouldn't start again, he kept look at us as if to say , what have you done to it,
After some time he came over to ask if I knew any thing about generator, which I answered, yes quite a lot but I keeping it to myself,
I think at that point he notices I wasn't too happy with him.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I understand you are not currently in the UK; all societies are different. We find talking to people in their own language is like magic.

That dosnt help I can tell you, my partner speak French, Germany , Italian, Dutch , has well as some Spanish.
Some people are just not interested.
I say some because most do take others into consideration,
By the way and I wasn't going to say but the boat with the generator was British.

Babylon

Visit site
Sometimes, but maybe its always been thus.

So its best to lower one's expectations just a little, then be pleasantly impressed when encountering common courtesy - which will be the majority of the time.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Have you met sailors who are just plain ignorant and give sailing a bad name and is common courtesy amongst sailors disappearing?[/QUOTE]

Yes, often, they come out from the river Hamble, with little appreciation of the Rules of the road, and total oblivience of others around them.

Serin

Visit site
Sometimes, but maybe its always been thus.

So its best to lower one's expectations just a little, then be pleasantly impressed when encountering common courtesy - which will be the majority of the time.

On the other hand, I find myself unpleasantly surprised by any rare encounters with boorish fellow sailors rather than the other way around. I really do think the Solent is a bit of a special case in this respect.

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
Long distance saiors are exactly the opposite very friendly, drinks on each other boats, book swaps, food sharing parties, something broken and you don't know what's wrong another cruiser can fix it, going out for meals together often 20 to 30 people. It was brilliant. From what you are saying I'm glad we did little sailing in the UK.

fredrussell

Visit site
I'm on the east coast, moored at Pin Mill, which is a quiet place with swinging moorings only and the other boaties couldn't be nicer. Bit of a sweeping statement I'll admit but I think the closer you get to large urban centres the less good manners seem to prevail.

Carmel2

Visit site
Pedi Symi, 5 or 6 boats alongside on the unbuilt wall. not much space between the boats, blowing like hell onto our bows, that's why we were all there. Then ****wit in front lights a BBQ, smoke and sparks all over the show, will he put it out?............No, I am having my dinner........ and when I offer some sea water gravy, it's him who gets the hump..twat.

Last edited:

wully1

Visit site
Bit of a sweeping statement I'll admit but I think the closer you get to large urban centres the less good manners seem to prevail.

But a lot of truth in that.

You could have fun making up a rule that states that the smaller, older and farther a boat is from large marina facilities the nicer the crew are likely to be.

Of course there would be no truth in that as you almost always meet the nicest folk on boats, it's just the occasional moron that stands out and they tend to be on newer bigger boats..

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Have you met sailors who are just plain ignorant and give sailing a bad name and is common courtesy amongst sailors disappearing?

I've met a very few rude people afloat, but overwhelmingly I find both sailors and motorboaters to be friendly, courteous and pleasant people. Incidentally I see no reason to assume that the ignorant are also the rude.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Long distance saiors are exactly the opposite very friendly, drinks on each other boats, book swaps, food sharing parties, something broken and you don't know what's wrong another cruiser can fix it, going out for meals together often 20 to 30 people. It was brilliant. From what you are saying I'm glad we did little sailing in the UK.

Generally, what you said it true, but has someone pointed out to me the other day,
{ We have spent all winter in a Marina everyone so friendly, can't do enough for each other, hanging around on other peoples' boats socializing, come the spring you will see some of the same people, standing on the bow screaming at other's that they have anchor too close and invading their personal space}
I have to say he's quite right,

snowleopard

Visit site
Wherever you go you will find that 95% of fellow boaters are nice people, helpful and friendly. Of course the odd curmudgeon will stand out among them. I recently went on a canal cruise with a group of disabled people on an adapted boat. To get the wheelchairs ashore we needed to be alongside a proper wharf. Arriving to tie up one night there was a 55 ft space on the quay and our boat was 62 ft. Next to the space was another boat with a good 12 ft clear astern of him. We explained what we needed and asked him to move along a bit. He refused.

Everyone else we met was cheerful and friendly but the one bad apple leaves a sour taste.

Nigelb

Visit site
I think there are some strong regional differences in the UK. We have kept our boat in Fleetwood over winter for the last 3 years and Dunstaffnage in the Summer. I think the conditions in the NW of Scotland attract a 'better class' of cruiser and then the locals are great. Sailing down the Irish coast this summer was a pleasure and the harbour masters couldn't do enough for you. The Scillies, for me was the transition zone, as arrival in Falmouth was notably more tense and commercial. Despite the excellent harbour control in Dartmouth on three occasions we were made to feel most unwelcome when coming alongside. Finally, back in the Solent our experience is akin to a busy London street, people avoid eye contact and invariably don't acknowledge you or pass the time of day. Perhaps they are all too busy to enjoy themselves!

GrahamM376

Visit site
Is it just me or has some of the common courtesy gone out of sailing.

Have met a few plain ignorant ones over the years but few and far between. Unfortunately, I think courtesy in general is fast disappearing.