Where did you put your DC fusing & distribution?

Red Panda

Visit site
I'm planning a renewal of my 12vDC charging & distribution. At the moment it's the typical 30-year-old boat mishmash, and this winter I want to bring it up to date.
Without getting into wiring diagrams, the batteries live under the quarter berth, the switch panel is on the side of the engine compartment under the companionway steps. I know where the battery monitor and switch panel will go, but where do people generally squeeze in distribution busbars and fuse boxes on a typical 32" sailing boat?

lw395

Visit site
I found having a main panel at the companionway and a smaller panel at the chart table worked quite well.

matthewriches

www.matthewriches.co.uk
Almost standard practise is companionway and chart table however a large Southerly i'm working on from a bare hull will have 5 panels throughout the boat for different reasons. Bigger the boat = more requirements so a 32 foot shouldn't be too bad.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
It 1st of all has to be accessible so look at your options and choose the one where it is easy to work on and does not interfere with other functions, the chart table area is favourite on a small boat.

Red Panda

Visit site
Accessible vs protected, I'm working out a plan.

Another question, have any of you experience of these cube fuses on battery terminals?
cubefuse.jpeg
I've read good things about them, they seem to make sense in that they protect the whole length of the cable.