Where can I learn ........

lanason

Visit site
I will be buying my first boat in the new year ..... Been Family boating for years.
But I want a good refresher course - shore based - reminding me about Tides, Navigation, Safety, Motor Boat Handling, Launching etc.....
Does anyone know a good "school" around the M5 from Bristol to Brum who would do a Winter's 1 night a week type course ????

G

Try your local schools adult education classes. I did my Yachtmaster shore based last winter and my wife and 22 year old son are doing the day skipper this winter and we're in Cambridgeshire, not exactly close to the sea so there must be somewhere close for you. Their course is 2 hrs each week for 22 weeks for the grand cost of £110, about £2.50 and hour. Must be the cheapest thing in boating I've come across. Try phoning the local education authority, they'll have a list of evening classes available. One posible problem is that the course started in October so you may be too late now. If you can't get on the Day Skipper course, there's always flower arranging so at least the boat will look pretty.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Many local night schools do courses on Day Skiper etc.
Its just a case of finding them.
I did mine in the middle of Lancashire 50 miles from the sea.
But then theres corispondence courses and you can always look in the boat mags, theres loads of adds in there.

Haydn

lanason

Visit site
I have tried searching for our a list local Adult Education courses - impossible everything else but. I just need to find the .com .org . something locally ...........

Tucepi

Visit site
Upton Marina (worcs) are organising a 5 day intensive RYA day skipper course starting 7th January. Approx. 9 till 5 every day with homework but at the end of the week its completed. Cost is approx £197 per person Inc. course pack and exam). Contact Upton Marina, Upton -on-Severn, Worcs.

G

Re: practical

the shore based stuff will teach you tides and theory stuff, but not about the boat handling and such. Could you not hire a little man, salty seadog type from the marina, to help show you the handling stuff? Or better still gettem to throw in a few days with new boat. But gettit in writing else little man wil be too busy.

lanason

Visit site
Re: practical

I did alot of boat handling in my teens - 24 footer with single engine and 30 footer with twins - that bit must be like riding a bike. What I have forgotton (or Dad was responsible for) was the Safety and Theory stuff. RYA website is hard work to find anything locally.

G

Did the Day Skipper theory at Brunel Tech College in Ashley Down Road, Bristol a couple of years ago. It was a popular course - but a bit grim on a Winter's night.

simon

Visit site
Try these :
Worcester College Of Technology 28 The Cross Worcester Worcestershire WR1 3PZ UNITED KINGDOM Courses Run: Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased Course One day Diesel Engine Maintenance Course Day Skipper Shorebased Course Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased Course One Day Short Range Certificate Course

Stourbridge College Hagley Road Stourbridge West Midlands DY8 1QU UNITED KINGDOM Courses Run: Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased Course Day Skipper Shorebased Course

Field House Hall Lane Hagley Stourbridge West Midlands DY9 9LH UNITED KINGDOM Courses Run: Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased Course One day Diesel Engine Maintenance Course Day Skipper Shorebased Course One day Radar Course Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased Course One Day Short Range Certificate Course

Stafford College 9 Cherry Tree Close Walton Stone Staffordshire ST15 OAZ UNITED KINGDOM Courses Run: Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased Course Day Skipper Shorebased Course One Day Short Range Certificate Course

North Warwickshire And Hinckley College Hinckley Road Nuneaton Warwickshire CV11 6BH UNITED KINGDOM Tel: 024 7624 3154 E-mail: adult.ed@nwarks-hickley.ac.uk Courses Run: Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased Course Day Skipper Shorebased Course

Evesham College Cheltenham Road Evesham Worcestershire WR11 6LP UNITED KINGDOM Courses Run: Coastal Skipper/Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased Course One day Diesel Engine Maintenance Course Day Skipper Shorebased Course Introduction to Motor Cruising Yachtmaster Ocean Shorebased Course One Day Short Range Certificate Course