What's the best coloured varnish?

ctroutz

Visit site
Allied to the post about the Epifane spill.... Apparently it's OK to put ordinary varnish on top of cured 2 pack. I'd like to 'over-coat' mahogany? grab rails with a colour but the stuff I've tried in the past has not looked very natural. I scraped back to bare wood where necessary and rubbed down until it looked even, but after varnishing the results are 'orrible. It's a nice mahog. colour where it was bare wood but really patchy cos the old varnish has come up much lighter shades.
Any recommendations for a good varnish/stain combined, to darken this to the mahogany colour?

Tranona

Visit site
Suggest International Woodskin. Easy to apply, durable and a light tint giving a sheen finish. Ideal for grab rails. Or any other external woodwork.

simonfraser

Visit site
dont think you are going to ever even out the patches until you get to black, using one density of color
you could darken the lighter patches with a darker varnish, until the whole lot matches
else make sure all the old stuff is off, then start again

i have come to the conclusion that there is more to life that patch up wood treatment, i now use woodskin, prior to that cytol, excelent stuff, cant see the joins between old and new
yes it is a bit blotchy ...