what's my yearly nag to

jfm

Visit site
close have you practised your MOB recently,

but I think I need a few more things to nag about so keep them comeing,,,,please.

As a matter of interest, has anyone here ever had a proper MOB from a (say) 40 foot or bigger mobo? Loads of people go overboard from my boat, but they do it deliberately. I can't imagine a real serious MOB happening, ever. I would certainly rate fire as a bigger risk, intuitively.

(So there's a nag: check your fire gear and upgrade where appropriate)

benjenbav

Visit site

but I think I need a few more things to nag about so keep them comeing,,,,please.

With hand on heart, and I have a witness, I can honestly say that a fender has been flung off the stern of my boat and successfully retrieved at least once in 2011. This exercise was carried out in conditions of darkness as well.
Of course, the whole truth would be that the fender was actually attached to a long line at the time because I was just demonstrating the rate of the current in the river. :D

Elessar

Visit site

6 times last weekend. Will that do? All were Brenda she was getting fed up.

My nag is check your bilge pump float switch after Evenstar nearly sank. I tested the bilge pump at the on switch not the float switch, lesson learned.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
As a matter of interest, has anyone here ever had a proper MOB from a (say) 40 foot or bigger mobo? Loads of people go overboard from my boat, but they do it deliberately. I can't imagine a real serious MOB happening, ever. I would certainly rate fire as a bigger risk, intuitively.

(So there's a nag: check your fire gear and upgrade where appropriate)

We had a real MOB in the river Mersey during my PB2 in 2005.

We rescued a chap who fell off a yacht in the path of a container ship.

Quite scary looking at a drowning man.

Once that was done, we spent half an hour rescuing a fender tossed into the water, which was not exciting or remotely realistic.

Here's the story, but not much added to above.

Someone crewing one of the safety boats under the Britannia Bridge last week noticed a head floating past. They hauled a chap on board who then profusely thanked them for rescuing him as he had by then changed his mind about ending it all. Apparently he chickened out of jumping off the bridge and walked into the water instead - straight into a raging current.

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
"We" practised "our" MOB drill two years ago I fell in!

Trouble was that I was alone! Nobody to fish me out again.

Now fitted boarding ladder