What\'s Honfleur like ...

.... for a few nights?

Noisy?
Expensive?
Supermarket nearby?
rafting up unavoidable?
Being moored against the wall?
Electricity available?

We've been there by car many years ago, just for one evening, but not yet by boat. We both fancy giving it a go

Topcat47

Visit site
Re: What\'s Honfleur like ...

JFDI.

It's an experience not to be missed. You can always move on after a couple of days if you really don't like it. I find being in the inner harbour a blast!

Elessar

Visit site

Noisy?
yes but the nice noise of being in the thick of things, not boom boom music and not too late
Expensive?
no, well not compared to anything else you pay for in euros
Supermarket nearby?
yes, and some nicer shops too
rafting up unavoidable?
yes nice and sociable, not even treated as a leper by sailing boats
Being moored against the wall?
yes - makes it easier for the restaurants to serve you on your boat - which they will
Electricity available?
if you're quick

and overall our favourite stop last year - absolutely loved it, don't know why we hadn't been before, but will be back.

S

Skyva_2

Wonderful place. If you ask nicely and stay for 3 days you might find a pontoon berth on the old church side - its worth it.
Visit the Satie museum.
Beware the lock at low tide, the deeper channel is to the south.
Crowded with tourists by day, much quieter when the coaches have left.

andy59

Visit site

probably one of the best places to sit on your boat and watch the world go by and sample some very fine seafood and vino calapso /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

alandee

Visit site

One of our favourite places, we found it hard to leave. We'll go there again one day...I hope.

Jeannius

Visit site

Just reading the replies to this thread makes me sad to be in the Caribbean. If only there was somewhere like Honfleur out here, life would be perfect.

andy59

Visit site

Cowes056.jpg
hooraaay got it posted in the end . now knackered and going to bed /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shmoo

Visit site

It always looks in the pictures as if you are against the wall but there are pontoons.
Loos are a bit of a treck and the delightful street music wears thin after a few days, but would be churlish not to say it's a nice spot.
And you can take a pic like this:
281444.jpg

Eastermaid

Visit site

Whats it like for fin keeler, depth, drying etc I was thinking of paying a visit this summer instead of Bourg (I draw 1.8m)

I know I should look at almanac before I get an onslaught of advice.

Jobs_a_ good_ un

www.beneteau393.co.uk

Btw we were there one year on Bastille day that was a right hoot they place a hugh pole out over the harbour grease it up and put a flag on the end
then loads of locals attempt to run the length of the pole and grab the flag by falling in the dock etc
Then theres a hugh firework diplay at night
Brill

Carolwildbird

art-of-remembering.typepad.com

I love it - planning it as a first or second stop at the beginning of our trip south in May (after the Mercury meet)..to get into the french atmosphere quickly. I went there on my round Britain (yes, I know it was france) trip on a HR 49 drawing 2.2m so no problem with depth..

Here she is in the inner harbour.

honfleur6frangi-1.jpg

BlueSkyNick

Visit site

Great pic, thanks. Nice boats ... which one's yours ?? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW, if you have ticked 'I want to preview my post' just above the Continue button, you will get to see how your picture looks before the rest of the world do.

andy59

Visit site

Wish the white one was mine /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif , but i was over there on this ,
DSC02113.jpg
but taking boat this year /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

ebbtide

N/A
Visit site

Waiting to enter the lock from the Seine you are greeted with some huge pillars with no obvious mooring facility - unless other boats have got there first.
Beyond the lock mooring on the wall to stbd is free for 24 hours allowing exploration on foot before committing yourself to the inner basin.
Delightful tho this may be it is no place to be in a heatwave or when the RORC/GOG hearties have arrived!
Diesel is several kilometres away from the town.

And by leaving 2 hours after LW Le Havre (note shallows mentioned above) you're only a day's motoring from Rouen!

PM for more pics and info.