What to do about this teak deck?

B27

Visit site
This teak deck was laid in the 90's, its spent 18 years in a barn, has not been out in the weather since 2003. The teak log came from a ship that had sunk, the teak was underwater about 50 years, its proper teak, perfectly laid, swept just right, no fastenings and is laid on an epoxy coated ply sub deck.

As you can see in the photo, some caulking has let go. Given its teak on epoxy and no fasteners, could I ignore it? Smear in some caulk and sand? Or rake out and recaulk?

I'm nervous of raking out, I've seen many teak decks look awful with wide and wobbly lines after recaulking.

20231007-140745.jpg
Either seal it with something so it lasts for ever, or leave it in the barn.
Weathering teak decks are an abomination.

TSB240

Visit site
I have just recaulked our 40 foot Oceanis. IN MY CASE I had to remove tiny self tapping screws used by Beneteau to hold the teak down whilst the glue set. There were rough three every 2 inches of each run.

I generally used a Teak Deck Systems hand caulk rake to remove the loose or damaged caulk after running a sharp Stanley blade down each side.

I ended up with a clean and sharp caulking line by using a 4mm router bit in a cheap hand router. I fitted two self tapping screws with 3.9mm flat heads onto the centreline of the router base plate about 75mm apart. These keep the router in line and clear any small bits of caulking left behind after using hand rake.

The router would block if trying to remove large chunks caulk.

Personally I prefer to mask my joints and this leaves a little caulk proud that can be lightly sanded with 120 grit on a large orbital sander to give a smooth deckline and maintain a traditional sunburnished grey brushed teak look🙂

I have never used oils and sealants only salt water with light brushing. Annual biocide treatment(Doff or Patio Magic) keeps the teak clean and alga at bay.

burgundyben

Visit site
I ended up with a clean and sharp caulking line by using a 4mm router bit in a cheap hand router. I fitted two self tapping screws with 3.9mm flat heads onto the centreline of the router base plate about 75mm apart. These keep the router in line and clear any small bits of caulking left behind after using hand rake.

Thats brilliant.