What time to round Portland Bill (westbound) tomorrow?

wonkywinch

Visit site
Just chilling with a glass of wine in Portland heading west tomorrow. Quick squiz at the almanacs, Monty Mariners web links and seem to be a wide window of suggestions rounding the Bill on the inshore passage.

Got a range of 0800 to 1000 BST for Tues 18th depending on who's publication you read.

Any thoughts from the forum Bill regulars?

Last edited:

ithet

Visit site
About 1 hour before HW Dover is 8:19 BST and is about the beginning of the recommended band. It is also the timing I used last time round with no issues, after a discussion on here about how early I could go. Would seem to be ideal for tomorrow, to leave Portland at about 06:30 BST. Keep close to land on way down.

ashtead

Visit site
I have only travelled twice westwards by inshore but timings are what we did you can always slow down from Portland and no doubt in June many others say 2 or 3 will be travelling with you . I guess a lot depends on you boat speed re departure time -we motored down both times in dead flat ish conditions.

Lucky Duck

Visit site
About 1 hour before HW Dover is 8:19 BST and is about the beginning of the recommended band. It is also the timing I used last time round with no issues, after a discussion on here about how early I could go. Would seem to be ideal for tomorrow, to leave Portland at about 06:30 BST. Keep close to land on way down.
Worked for me when I crossed a fortnight ago and a reasonable departure time as well.

Also sitting in Portland but pondering the journey East which is slightly less convenient

Lucky Duck

Visit site
Lulworth were firing but OK to cross outer ranges south of N50 34.500 today. They were calling almost every boat anywhere near the ranges.

Thanks, did hear the range boat in the VHF but didn’t pay it much attention.

Never heard gunfire from the ranges at the harbour entrance before

Boathook

Visit site
All my tide tables, etc are on board the boat, but from memory I leave Weymouth and then a back eddy? to get to Portland by which time the tide has turned and is taking me west across Lyme Bay.

I did purchase a local tidal booklet that showed all the back eddies from Swanage to Portland. Might have been by Peter Bruce ?

VicS

Visit site
Just chilling with a glass of wine in Portland heading west tomorrow. Quick squiz at the almanacs, Monty Mariners web links and seem to be a wide window of suggestions rounding the Bill on the inshore passage.

Got a range of 0800 to 1000 BST for Tues 18th depending on who's publication you read.

Any thoughts from the forum Bill regulars?
At the start of the ebb so that you have a fair tide to carry you as far west as possible before the tide turns again.