What is the current situation in Portugal?

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Is sailing allowed or not? No-one here seems to know.

What marinas are open, which definitely not welcoming?

We want to leave Cascais in the next 2 weeks and head for the Algarve, what sort of reception are we likely to get in Sines, Lagos, Albufeira and points East?

- W

nortada

Visit site

We want to leave Cascais in the next 2 weeks and head for the Algarve, what sort of reception are we likely to get in Sines, Lagos, Albufeira and points East?

- W
As often said, in Portugal, it's all down to the officials you speak to so youps only real solution is to contact SEF at your planned destination (Sines?) and get their authority to enter that port. If possible, I would get their response by e-mail.

A would also suggest you plan one leg at a time.

ps Since I posted this I called into the Marina de Lagos reception and was met by a SEF officer. Seemed a very nice, helpful guy.

I understand from here-on, SEF will be manning their office in reception.

First time in living memory so I suppose in future they will be actively monitoring vessel movements.

Last edited:

PlanB

Visit site
Not in a boating context, but there was a mention in today's D Tel of the high rate of infection in the Algarve.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
- W

At the moment, you're not supposed to leave your local area without good reason. Having said that, we plan to drive down to Faro from Lisbon on Tuesday if forecast wind remains light :) More likely to be stopped at weekend.

I spoke to Bruce about hauling boat out and his reply was he could get permission from police. This implies that restrictions are in place. In our case, the mooring is only about 1nm from the yard so not leaving the local area.

I would suggest you ask the Policia Maritima what restrictions are in place for movement of foreign boats. Judging by last year, you may find you will have to anchor off and request permission to enter marinas or go ashore.

[3889]

Visit site
Isn't March 1st decision day in reviewing Portuguese restrictions?
I have plans, very flexible plans, to return from UK to Faro next Friday with a view to sailing north. Webcraft & I might end up sharing a cell in Sines or wherevero_O

nortada

Visit site
I'm told 11th March is to be next announcement.
Latest on State of Emergency, which is scheduled to last until at least 16 March and probably longer but it is working because even though the majority of the population have still to be vaccinated, the number of active cases is dropping rapidly.

As an example, a month ago Lagos County had over 300 active cases but today that number is down to under 50.

Portugal lockdown extended - again

nortada

Visit site
Can't see much changing until vaccine program is ramped up, two 89 year old aunts living in Benfica and Lisbon still haven't had their first jabs. Doubt if we'll see UK direct flights resume until some time after Easter.
Agree, I am hearing 19th May as a possible date for resuming Faro - U.K. flights but will we have to have the jab before we are allowed to fly to the U.K.❓

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
Agree, I am hearing 19th May as a possible date for resuming Faro - U.K. flights but will we have to have the jab before we are allowed to fly to the U.K.❓
Wife is now on her third booking and subsequent cancellation from Manchester to Faro. She's got the 3rd of April now. I told her there's more chance of pigs flying than Easyjet flying on that date.

Reactions: GHA

nortada

Visit site
Wife is now on her third booking and subsequent cancellation from Manchester to Faro. She's got the 3rd of April now. I told her there's more chance of pigs flying than Easyjet flying on that date.
Reckon she stands a better chance flying from a Covid free UK to Portugal, rather than the other way. Moreover, it's down hill ;)

greeny

Visit site
Webby,
Portimao
Three windsurfers out right now, 2 Sup's and one double kayak this morning. Small power boat came out of the marina this morning and came slowly up the river as far as the Naval yard then turned and went back. Testing the water to see if she got stopped maybe.
I can also see a sailing boat well offshore maybe 3/4 miles or more, heading east. No sails, on engine into the easterly. It doesn't look a very comfortable ride. It may be a cat but difficult to say from distance through the bins. So something is moving. She's not on ais though. Just noticed on ais , a French boat heading from Alvor direction towards Portimao. I'm sure she was in here last week so it seems she may have been somewhere and is heading back now. Won't mention the name but she's on ais so not sneaking around secretly.

[3889]

Visit site
sssshhhhh
don't tell her. :)
But if you want brownie points it is currently possible to fly Manchester- Dublin- Faro in a single day for around £50, assuming there are suitable reasons for doing so. It does require flying on a Friday so superstitious types might balk at the prospect.

greeny

Visit site
But if you want brownie points it is currently possible to fly Manchester- Dublin- Faro in a single day for around £50, assuming there are suitable reasons for doing so. It does require flying on a Friday so superstitious types might balk at the prospect.
The peace in my life is probably worth more than the brownie points. :whistle: