What is the "average" club racing boat

Foolish Muse

Visit site
What is the "average" club racing boat. I don't mean the most common, but rather the boat that fits best into the middle of the wide assortment of boats that are raced round the buoys at clubs. So that if one were to look at the sailing and trim techniques for that average boat, then one could learn to make + and - adjustments for his own boat. Perhaps there might be an average fractional rig / asymmetrical and an average mast head / symmetrical rig.

Thoughts?

jac

Visit site
Couldn't you just pick something that was in the middle of the handicap figures from RYA / PY/ Byron etc. It would fit into the middle on handicap but i'm not sure what it would tell you.

Birdseye

Visit site
What is the "average" club racing boat. I don't mean the most common, but rather the boat that fits best into the middle of the wide assortment of boats that are raced round the buoys at clubs. So that if one were to look at the sailing and trim techniques for that average boat, then one could learn to make + and - adjustments for his own boat. Perhaps there might be an average fractional rig / asymmetrical and an average mast head / symmetrical rig.

Thoughts?

In our IRC fleet the average is either a J boat or a First with a few sports boats. In the NHC fleet, there is a huge range from bilge keeled Sadlers to boats that should be IRC but wont cough up the £70 . And the layout and set up reflects that with many boats being raced with dirty hulls, tatty sails and no set up worth a damn. They simply like a couple of hours on the water every Sunday through the year.

flaming

Visit site

Thoughts?

I see what you're trying to do, but I'm not sure it will help you.

There are so many variables to rig design and each have massive effects on the exact tuning details. For example, section thickness, angle of forestay, width of chainplates, height of mast above forestay, number of spreaders, deck or keel stepped, mast material, mast stiffness, wire or rod (or PBO) rigging, width of jib tracks, height of gooseneck, purchase of kicker etc, etc, etc...

Only by observing the actual results you get by winding on/off tension etc can you get an idea of what your own rig is doing.

Of course, gaining the understanding as to what is desirable so to shortcut the trial and error and narrow down into a good basic setup straight off is the trick! I wouldn't claim to be anywhere near that level.

dancrane

Visit site
Couldn't you just pick something that was in the middle of the handicap figures from RYA / PY/ Byron etc.

Last time I mentioned the Byron cruiser figures here, there was a collective howl from almost everyone whose boat featured in the list. I thus supposed they're not to be trusted...

...and, I'm not surprised, having seen how closely dinghies seem to sail to their predicted handicaps; because the dinghies are all down to ideal weight, and assiduously updated...

...whereas it's unusual to see a cruiser of more than a few years old, kitted and crewed to perform near her peak...so I guess that applying ideal handicap ratings to designs which are typically overloaded and under-specified, isn't a fair guide. Although, I s'pose the overloaded boats will only be very part-time racers, while some will be kept very sharp.

Note to self: look up 'Byron' in search box and see what the forum has said about the figures since I last asked.

Aja

Visit site
Thoughts?

It would make much more sense to tell the Forum what boat you have and its current set up. Then suggestions could be forthcoming.

regards
Donald

Adamastor

Visit site
There seems to be, after much analysis and several Committee meetings held over some brightly hopped and impeccably chilled beverages, a function in the term "average" whereby the IRC figures are related, mathematically, to the number of toffs in brick-coloured pink slacks, and inversely locked to the number of beers drunk out of the bottle on club premises.
Thus a club which sports a few JK designs squaring off against some Kerr 1-offs for beercan racing might sport an average IRC figure of something like 1.05 across the fleet, indicating that there's likely to be a pair of pink pants and likely a club blazer between every 200 people. Similarly, just 10 in 200 people drink beer from the bottle in those clubs
On the other hand, where your fleet consists of some ageing local designs, and they trot out some elderly Bumbler 22's and a few Wobbly 26's with the rest being renovators' dreams, and the IRC figures don't exist, there is fokkol likelihood of spotting pink pants, and the bottle-beer brigade are universal.
So as a simple answer, without the advanced mathematics, head down to the noticeboard at your club of concern and look at the results and see what the handicap figures look like. The average will tell you what the average boat is, but only there at that club.
Otherwise stand somewhere where you can stare at the men in the club and count the pink pants brigade...

bignick

Visit site
Depends where you live.
If you sail out of the Hamble what is considered an "average" cruiser racer would probably be quite different than in the NW, the NE, the Clyde or anywhere else.
Sail what is competitive and gives you the most enjoyment!