What is it about ensigns?

mjf

w.london - boat on solent- RIB on Tidal Thames
Visit site
I posted on the MOBO forum as its the one I use most but feel it belongs here too!

I notice abroad most people fly an ensign and a courtesy job too if appicable.

On the S coast I recon 100% of boats are flying Reds or Blues, defaced etc etc.

I noticed this w/e when I took my RIB up to Richmond to watch the Great River Race that hardly any of the river guys fly flags. This extends to the cruise and river tour boats which are crammed with visitors (many from overseas).
Why is this?

and.......another thing I often see river cruise boats at night without displaying the high vis illuminated stern which i thought was a non optional PLA display following the Bow Bell accident.

and.........another thing why is it that no-one cares about seamanship up stream of Wandsworth Bridge. Huge wakes and speed limits are ignored by just about everyone.

In land river boating is very different to coastal stuff in terms of attitude and pride.

Ramage

Visit site
According to the makers of the BBC programme "Coast" the river is coastal until Teddington.

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

If you are rich enough to pay the EA river licence, you can easily afford an ensign.

Thats why us non-tidal types all fly them.

byron

RIP
Visit site
All the trip boats I have seen are wearing ensigns. Those craft not in use, unmanned and tied up are quite properly not flying a flag.

nickcred

Visit site
I was flying mine proudly lol here is a pic
IMG00257.jpg

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Well you need to have Blue ensigns so that you can tell who the t0ssers are!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks! and here's me thinking I earned mine /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif