What if I actually bought a boat!

Wansworth

Visit site
Getting close to buying a boat,quite some distance still but have sort of stuck to my original parameters,smallish 26/27,bilge keeler,good engine .Now say I bought this boat should I have an engineer have a good look and change all the filters etcAnd should I,emty and clean out the tanks,check all the sea cocks etc etc.From previous boats there seems to be a phase were in a sort of honeymoon period the ower spends on stuff and there always seems to be some hidden yard bill or some situation that calls for cash outlay.........

Chrissie

Visit site
while the engineer is checking out the engine, get him to show you how to change your own filters belts etc, and show you what to monitor on a regular basis. Even boat owners who can afford to pay an engineer to do it all for them should still know how.

There will be a honeymoon period, it does ring true that systems that have worked well enough for years will break down for a new owner. But enjoy your boat when you get it, sounds like you are doing lots of good research.

Babylon

Visit site
Don't worry!

Also sounds like you are worrying about it more than you need to.

Buy the boat, but get a survey first.
Check all the essential kit and systems, repairing or renewing only what you have to initially.
Get the engine checked and serviced by an engineer - while you watch and learn.
Go sailing.
Each winter you'll have a list of things to delve deeper into, renew or add.
Don't worry.
Enjoy!
:)

Last edited:

dylanwinter

www.keepturningleft.co.uk
you worry too much

sail first and worry later

fix stuff as it goes wrong otherwise you will spend too long worrying and fixing and not enough time sailing

as for yard bills

as a sailor of many years experience

- the costs of running a boat are just a bit more than you tell your wife they are -

or even admit to yourself

Dylan

V1701

Visit site
Have you considered living aboard? If it's where you live no journey time to factor in, you won't mind spending money on it so much, you'll have more money to spend on it and you'll get to know it a lot quicker. Works for me...:)

Little Five

Visit site
Worry first then sail with confidence later!!!
The moment I was left on my first boat I admit to a panic which I had to club into submission.
I had a plan- check over all kit and systems whilst reading the relevant handbook. If not clear, do it again. Moved boat 7 miles downriver to get work required after survey, had full rig check and engine service with engineer who showed me everything as suggested in another post.
After all that went to sea fully confident in the boat, if not quite in myself.

Wansworth

Visit site
Thanks to all,after best part of ten years ,boatless, pondering on the whole business of actually having a boat as opposed to thinking about it,plus the fact that I live in Spain and for the next year the boat will be in the ukuntil is fit for a return trip to Galicia.