what does the chart marking ZONE INTERDITE mean ?

zambant

Visit site
10 miles from the eastern end of Cherbourg breakwater on a bearing of 038 deg at position
48 deg 48min N 1 deg 25min W there is marked a circular zone ZONE INTERDITE

I am confused? Am I allowed to sail through the area?

As its within an area of exploseive dumping as well I clearly ould not be anchoring or diving in the area.

Ant definitive answers please?

Thanks

John

Man

laika

Visit site
"Waiter, what is the soup du jour?"
"It's the soup of the day sir"

I don't think anyone is answering zambant's question. Are EXPLOSIFS IMMERGES (dans 50+m d'eau) sufficiently dangerous to not be sailing through the area? Is it used for live weapons testing? I've always just avoided. I think I even found out the answer some years ago but I seem to have forgotten.

*pourquoi* est-elle interdite?

I can give one good reason to avoid. 15 years ago I was sailing with a skipper who was a fine sailor but if something went tits up that he couldn't blame on someone else he had "issues". And he'd messed up and put us down tide of cherbourg at night. And then pretty much lost the plot. I was trying to draw his attention gently but repeatedly, to what we were heading towards. He ignored me. Some time after entering the zone me and 3rd crew are staring at the lights on the cotentin peninsular as we slowly plugged the tide. 3rd crew says "hey, check that red light out...it's started moving really fast". Because it wasn't on the peninsular. It was on top of the 3+m high otherwise unlit buoy we had to crash tack to avoid by a whisker. It wasn't marked on the chart. But then again the chart clearly says "zone Interdite".

The night managed to actually get worse after that but that's another story...

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
Re: what does ZONE INTERDITE mean ?

pGpioMbuSNHR8r2rROoeuoeqzpm.jpg

XDC

Visit site
Re: what does ZONE INTERDITE mean ?

What I am reading is that the prohibited zone only applies to vessels > 1600 tons carrying dangerous cargo.

westhinder

Visit site
What I am reading is that the prohibited zone only applies to vessels > 1600 tons carrying dangerous cargo.

I think that is the more general note for this part of the French coast: vessels over 1600 tons carrying hydrocarbons or dangerous goods are required to remain 7 miles offshore.
The prohibited zone refers to the explosives dumping ground and means anchoring is prohibited.
No problem to sail through it, as I see it in my Navionics app

XDC

Visit site
Yep agree with that. I am viewing the area on my phone so zooming out loses all the info, zooming in shows only a limited area. I’ve often seen those zones relating to no fishing. Sailing through is not a problem.

zambant

Visit site
Yes, does it mean you can't sail through it? Or does it just mean no fishing? Or does it mean no anchoring? Or what?

Yep......as the OP that is the question and it seems we STILL have a difference of opinion.............thats why I am confused still
Thanks all

dom

Visit site
On my iSailor charts it is quite clearly marked as "Entry Prohibited".

I don't see any buoys on Navionics, but I seem to recall a collection of flashing lights (cardinals?) marking something or other when we sailed by there year before last?

In fact I think it was around there we switched over to your iSailor system as the Raymarine (boat + App) had that horrible red overlay which Angele eventually fixed ;)

Last edited:

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
If you look at Navionics it has 3 warnings associated with it: the generic keep 7 miles offshore French instruction, dumping ground with no further explanation and a final one “Restricted Area” which further states “military zone, no anchoring”. So, from that I’d say it’s ok to transit but don’t anchor there.

laika

Visit site
Maybe he's saving it up for YM's "Confessional"! (Presumably they prefer stories that have not been on here first...)

Fortunately there's nothing (for me) to confess: Given that the only damage from subsequent events was to the boat and a cherbourg pontoon (the result of the last of the string of dramatic events), the decision not to risk a physical altercation by relieving the skipper of command turned out to be the right one. As last time I saw him 5 years ago said skipper was a pro sailor with a high-profile responsible job on his cv I trust that he has grown out of his youthful propensity for rare but dramatic melt-downs and I will save any other details for evenings such as those langstonelayabout makes reference to.

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
Yep......as the OP that is the question and it seems we STILL have a difference of opinion.............thats why I am confused still
Thanks all

UKHO BA2656 clearly states "Entry Prohibited", so like "Zone Interdite", I'd work on the assumption that it means rather more than "No Anchoring". More like "Keep Out".