What do I need to do??

Chas25

Visit site
Ok, so I have got a buyer lined up for my boat, he's had the seatrial and paid me a deposit, just waiting for him to get the money through either this week or early next week so we can complete the deal /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Trouble is.. I've been up to my ears trying to sort out my house move which we are also trying to get sorted in time for next Friday, and I haven't really given much thought to what I need to do regarding documents etc..

So,
boat is Part 3 registered
has a ships radio licence

I guess I need to arrange for both of the above to change the name/address of the registered owner? or does the new owner do this?
Is it then just the bill of sale I need to download and complete or is there something else I need to do as well??

Thanks
Charlie

jfm

Visit site
Just download bill of sale and hand that across to him (completed and signed) when his money arrives, and also hand him all your current ship's papers (previous BoS, builder's cert, invoices, registration certif, etc). He should then sort out registering it in his name

This is a funny way for buyer to do a trnasaction. If he were sensible he would stipulate up front what the seller must deliver to him on completion. Ie a written list of all the necessary docs, all of which he should (if sensible) have inspected beforehand to see that they actually exist and are free from defects

Al Dickson

Visit site
I just replaced my boat about 6 weeks ago - It was up to me to re-register the boat in my name along with any changes I wanted such as The Vessels Name or the Port of Registry

The new owner does not legally need to re register the boat but its likely he may want (especially if he has a marine mortgage) so will probably want you to provide him with the builders certificate, the current Certificate of Registry
and an MCA bill of sale from you to him.

As far as the radio is concerned the MMSI and Call sign stay with the boat but you are not legally obliged to tell Offcom who the new owner is as the Licence is actually yours

Again its up to the new owner if he wishes to have a licence but you MUST declare to Offcom that the boat has been sold and the licence no longer required in your name (you can do this online in a couple of minutes)

At least thats what I believe to be correct - hope it helps !

gjgm

Visit site
I dont think the buyer's behaviour is unusual, though, for a boat of this size and value. Many hope for an instruction book of some kind, and a simple sale agreement, but I dont think they d stipulate that upfront.
Careful, talking about paperwork, or you will trigger another VAT thead /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Ripster

Visit site
Assume you have listed a general inventory of items to go with the boat. What is and is not included. I have seen the lack of this cause arguments even over the smallest of items!

Otherwise, previous BoS, servicing recpts, manufacts certs etc and all instruction manuals.

jimmy_the_builder

Visit site
My P42 was SSR (part 3) - and when I sold it all we did was notify the registrar to close the entry. It was then up to the buyer what he wanted to do about registering the boat.

Cheers
Jimmy

Chas25

Visit site
Thanks all for your help and advice, I've just discovered another slight problem..

I've tried to download a copy of the Bill of sale from both teh RYA and MCGA, while they were fine on my home PC I can't get them to download at work (firewall I suspect /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif) Printer at home is burried in a box underneath lots of other boxes so would like to print it at work.

Would some kind person be able to e-mail me a copy?? If you send me a PM I'll reply with my e-mail address.

links to the BoS are here: http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/818005/an/0/page/6

Many thanks in advance /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif