What boat?

Boomshanka

Visit site
Knowing very little about motorboats, I'm hoping that the good folk of this parish may be able to help a friend of mine with some decision making. Any thoughts on what might fit the following:

Preferably fit two adults and two kids
General use in the Solent
Overnight cuddy for two would be good
10-15 knots would be just fine
Preferably some form of sun/rain protection
Trailerable for over-wintering in a double garage
Around £20k
Less than 5 years old
Oh- and a sea heads would be a great plus point

Any thoughts would be much appreciated - maybe it's not do-able for that budget?

Haven't-a-Clue

Visit site
I'd say yes the MF625 would fit the bill, get one with a full rear enclosure and you have a year round boat.........well we use ours year round, anyway! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gifShe may be (ok, she IS!) up for sale as we're going over to the raggie side of life, but I'd seriously recommend one, it certainly does all your buddy's looking for.PM me if you want more info.

SeaDave

Visit site
My Sea ray 225 ticks all the boxes and is substantially quicker too.

I've had it about 2 years now and am very happy with it. Mines a 2001 but condition is perfect.

Kawasaki

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Merry Fisher 625

[/ QUOTE ]

Good shout.
Although theses type of boats don't look ' sporty' etc they are very practical and safe.
Good walk around deck space.
No tent to mess with.
Year round capability.
Probs with some Sports Boats is the ability to go 'forward' and anchor etc.
Crawling through the centre window bit on to a sloping 'deck' is sometimes a nuisance.

However if you want to ski or pull offspring through the water on 'ringos' and stuff like that well a 'merry fisher' aint for you.

Well it will do but not proper like!
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SnaxMuppet

Plymouth, Devon, UK, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Uni
Visit site
Merry Fisher 625 would do nicely. Great sea handling considering the size and the fact it is a planeing hull. However it is a bit basic for overnighting. Yes, two can sleep on board it but it is definitely sleeping accomodation without frills and you have to lift the matress to get to the heads so it isn't very convenient even at sea.

We have had ours for 2 years from new and love it. I even took it around Britain last year solo so it is a very capable boat. However, I do not recommend it as a staying away boat except very occasionally and only if there is no more comfortable options. We try to B&B when away on ours.

Yes, I stayed on the boat for the Round Britain (8 weeks) but I was on my own. I won't stay away and sleep on board unless I am on my own.

gjgm

Visit site
I'd have a big think about the overnight ability, coz on a smaller towable boat, that uses up alot of the boat. Just how many times would they really do that? I d suggest a nice b+b is a much better solution!
I only ask, as it knocks out some other types of boat.

SolentPhill

Visit site
A little older than you wanted but ticks the boxes. I had one of these a few years ago. found it here

I know someone at this marina if your interested I can make a call to check it out.

This is details of the advert
Just on the books, a 2002 Larson 220 Cabrio in lovely condition. Fitted with a Volvo Penta 5.0L this boat has good power and ideal for cruising around the coast. The 220 Cabrio is the first of the Larson Cruiser range, with ample space within the cabin. Fitted with many extras including GPS, vhf, shore power, Camper canvas, cockpit cover, Tv & DVD, and lots more, call now to book your viewing.

Boomshanka

Visit site
Thanks for all the info, most useful. One question on the MerryFisher... are those windows/doors glass or acrylic/perspex (if the later, do they sratch/craze easily?). TIA

whisper

Visit site
Very good point Gavin.
Small boats - say below 8-9m long - are generally uncomfortable and cramped to sleep on. I've done a "job" on our berths but they are still not to be recommended for regular overnighting. B&Bs are a far better bet and they save you having to do the all pervading fry-up, on board!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SnaxMuppet

Plymouth, Devon, UK, Europe, Earth, Milky Way, Uni
Visit site
Patio door at the back is glass but the sides and front are acrylic.

Do they scratch easily? Well, all I can say is that the windscreen wiper fell off on my way round Britain (my fault!!!) and the arm wiped from sde to side without the wiper attached and it didn't scratch at all! Still as good as new after 2 years and 350 hrs of use.

I haven't seen one with scratches or crazes at all.