Westerly Water Tanks

braymt

Visit site
I have a 5 year old Oceanranger. I have found that the (so called) stainless steel water tanks are so badly corroded that they need replacing. Has anyone else had this problem and do they have a solution which does not require a second mortgage?

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
My 15 year old Konsrt has a SS fresh water tank under the for'd berths, and shows no sign of corrosion.

I did have to change the fuel tank four years ago, as it was a mass of flaking rust under the tank. Obviously where it stays wet from outside condensation. I replaced it with a SS tank - and for someone else, took a photo of it last week, and there is no sign of rust there either.

regards,
Philip. KT528

regards,
Philip

Grehan

www.french-waterways.com
At the risk of stating the obvious . .

a) Stainless steel comes in various grades (that is, metallic formulations) and this is probably even more true regarding sheet ss (=water tank material). There is quite a cost implication I believe.

b) Not all grades are suitable for 'marine' environments and/or stay pristine in such conditions.

philip_stevens

www.celticwebdesign.net
The original fresh water tank is in "pristine" condition, but the diesel tank has rust "staining" on the welds. Nothing that will not clean off, but staining all the same. Which lends credance to your statement about SS formulation.

As an aside, there is even a magnetic SS. It doesn;t rust, but is attracted to a magnet. Yet another formulation of SS.

regards,
Philip

braymt

Visit site
Rumour has it that at the time my boat was built Westerly were running a cost cutting campaign and that the tanks were made out of a low grade SS rather than the desirable 316. However, if this were the case I would expect other people who own Westerlies of the same vintage to be experiencing similar problems. Am I the only one with this? The only possibly unusual thing I have done is to go through the French canals and spend a season in the med.