Westerly Longbow info...

Seafort

Visit site
Does anybody know of any particular faults/defects to look out for when viewing an early 70's Westely Longbow? (Masthead bermudan sloop with iron fin keel).

I've done the forum and web searches, sent for brochures e.t.c. So far all I've found is a general "Look out for keel bolts on Westerlys".

Any sage words welcome. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Dave.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jamesjermain

Visit site
Longbows are/were pretty tough boats. Problems with keel bolts applied mainly to bilge keel versions and also was mainly due to inadequate backing and reinforcing. It is something a surveyor will know about and check. Other recuring problems include saggy headlining and leaky window frames.

<hr width=100% size=1>JJ

howardclark

Visit site
I had a Berwick for seven years in the nineties - thats the bilge keel version. Prior comment about headlining is correct and its slow to replace yourself neatly. Very solid boats in general - lots show minor signs of osmosis - if it hasn't been treated you may negotiate that in the price. If there is a Volvo engine now best part of 30 years old remember that spares need there own bank account - definitely include a full engine check in the survey. The original sea-cocks were twist wheel types which eventually will not close and are a B****R to remove. They should be replaced. Rig is usually very solid though the anodising on the spar will be discoloured. Fore windows are very solid but difficult to work on - aluminium frames with steel bolts - cannot be undone. Forehatch handles are easily broken and can't be replaced! - the hatch will often have been replaced with a Lewmar.
Theres probably more that I cannot remember now. Don't be put off - if you want an affordable safe boat they are great. We only sold to trade up size.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Bodach na mara

Visit site
I agree with most of what has already been posted. The four Westerly 31's (Longbow, Berwick, Pentland and Renown) are great boats, sailing well and providing super accommodation. Watermota engines with their 24 volt electrics are reliable. I just did the headliner in the main cabin this year and am thinking of writing it up (as a deterent to anyone thinking of doing it themself) but sag can be overcome.

BUT I have reservations about the hull moulding quality. I bought mine without a new survey, relying on one the previous owner had commissioned a year earlier. I was lucky and should have known better. I had seen previously and have seen since some horrendous examples of "osmosis" in these boats. This may account for the strange (and very wide) price differences between boats offered for sail. Over the last few months, I have seen them advertised for as little as £14500 "in excellent condition" to £27000.

Other factors may explain this however and I suggest visiting the PBO forum to look at "Perils of showing swmbo secondhand yachts"

<hr width=100% size=1>Ken Johnson