West Mersea Moorings

marksaab

Visit site
Hello!

Our Seamaster is currenty moored quite a way up the Strood channel, its not too bad, nice a quiet in the evenings, but it means we can be a bit limited on times to get out and back.

Just curious to know if anyone has any idea if moorings are available further down i.e. either the posts at the end of the Ray or even further out?

Thanks

Mark

tillergirl

Visit site
You need to ask either Peter Clarke or Rob at West Mersea Marine. If you are a member of the YC, we have some posts which nobody likes and don't get let much. I think all the YC swinging moorings have gone but they get allocated in the spring if any become free.

marksaab

Visit site
Thanks for the info. She is booked to go into Clarkes hard standing from Nov to March so I'll give them a call Weds.

Have the forms to join WMYC but still not got round to dropping them in!

Thanks again.

Mark

ex-Gladys

Visit site
the piles are curate's egg.. When we bought Gladys, we were put on the piles. if your boat is over 30' the "fit " is pretty tight... in bout 10 attempts to go on, I probably hit a pile 6 times... The tide doesn't run parallel, it runs slightly at an angle... Me? I'd sta in Salcott

Leighb

Visit site
I assume these are the same piles we spent 2 nights on recently.

I would never go on them again. There were no shackles on the vertical steel rods that you have to moor to which might slide up and down easily as the tide changes.

The mooring line holds tight to the rod until it is straining up or down at an amazing angle, and then suddenly lets go.

Result is a huge bang and the whole boat shakes. This happens to a worse degree when the tide is flooding.

NOT conducive to a good nights rest /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

West Mersea is a delightful place but when we go next it will definitely be on a mooring.

ianc1200

Visit site
The piles with shackles and ropes between are not for visitors, this from the man who collects the mooring fee (West Mersea Marine). The visitors ones are those without a rope between. However we really like the pile moorings, and simply have bought our own shackles (they have to be very big to work) and have got the scraper out in the past to clean up the rods. Otherwise you drop with a big bang!

BTW if you want to book a spot on the piles, or found out if they are free (if there is an event on they can get fully prebooked), the telephone number in the East Coast Pilot is wrong for West Mersea Marine, the number given is that for West Mersea Marine Engineering. However they can pass on the correct number.

IanC

ex-Gladys

Visit site
..except West Mersea Marine Engineering went bust last year....

Had excellent lamb rump in WMYC last Saturday. So good we eeven went to congratulate the chef. It was truly magnificent.

marksaab

Visit site
Thanks to everyone for your info.

The piles certainly seem to have a bad rep! Probably staying put for now but I may look for anything further out for next year.