West Country Cruise and Festivals

G

Next Monday we're kicking off for a West Country cruise - first time I'll have been that direction in years! Does any one have favourite harbours to visit? Are there any sailing festivals on during 9-20 July? Anyone else going to be around? We're on a Mystic 60 called L'isme.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
There are no bad harours in the West Country.
Theres some with no water in them some of the time and some with few facilities but then there the best.

Weymouth has to be the begining and then to Salcolmbe or Dartmouth if you like. After that and course it depends on the weather and time, but Agatha Chrispi's Island (If thats what she's called) is good for a couple of hours then the scenic route round Bigbury bay to the river Yelm which is ok about all tides and dinghy to the pubs.
Plymouth is good for spares and a night on the town. Try Sutton Harbour on 12 (lock) or 80 for Marina right in the Barbican.
Then theres Loe to visit. Anchor in the bay if tides not right, and Polpero but a bit tight for an hour or so. For the night it has to be Fowey which wont disapoint with Meganavisi just across the bay. Also charles town were they keep the four masters for doing the Onedin Line and such.
Falmouth and river Fal up to Truro, are good for a few days especialy if sea's got rough and then there's the Helston river which is quiet and supposed to be the most lovely in england. I prefer the Fal but there you go.
Salcolmbe to Falmouth about 60 miles but stopping places about every 5. Depends on what your looking for but its all there. Dont bother with Lizard unless under passage to Ireland or where ever. Helston is last worth while stop.
Plymouth will have the festival of sail. (100's of old sailing boats) from Yacht Haven (RAF Mountbatton) and the Navy dose its thing on the River Tamar also power boat racing and loads of other things but no dates. Contact the Mountbatton Center Turnchaple Plymouth for details.
My boats on M1 pontoon Yacht Haven, check the ropes on yer way past!!

Haydn

G

hlb is right - we are fantastic in the Westcountry. Try us and see. A word of warning, though, HELSTON is inland so you might have some difficulty finding a berth there! I think he meant HELFORD, which is quite beautiful, and a trip up the river by dinghy to Frenchman's Creek is a must for du Maurier fans, as is a visit to Fowey. Further East in Devon Salcombe gets busy at this time of year, but try the Yealm (Newton Ferrers) and also you won't be disappointed with Dartmouth. Beware the Royal Navy in Plymouth - they are quite busy despite this government's restrictions and cutbacks. Torquay and Brixham are a bit "trippery" but still worth a visit. Avoid the Exe, though, as it's entry is quite tricky since commercial shipping stopped visiting Exmouth.
The Tamar can be investigated with careful use of the tide as far as Calstock.

G

In following your route, I'm thinking of anchoring overnight in Lulworth Cove. Many years ago, I discovered some moored fore & aft. Is it still the same or can I rely on a swinging anchor mooring?

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Lulworth was ok on an anchor last week. But then theres no one to ask!!
Sorry about the Helford, I'd just been looking at the world atlas
for inspiration and it stuck in my head.
Get a pilot book, more for finding the pubs and scenery
than for the navigating.

Haydn

longjohnsilver

Visit site
The Exe entry is only tricky at night or 2 hours either side of LWS or on an ebbing tide with a force 4 or more of SE.

G

Agree Exe entry not difficult - easier than Chichester in my view - and a beautiful tranquil estuary - nature reserve and all. However, facilities are limited - as are visitors moorings. Still worth a visit along with the rest of the southwest delights. If you do go aground, it is all sand/mud, so physically harmless, just bruises the ego...

P.S. Beware strong tidal streams near Exmouth docks if entering mid-flood or mid-ebb springs - need to have at least 5 knts.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by edward on Fri Jul 6 08:52:37 2001 (server time).</FONT></P>

G

Thanks for all the advice. At 8'6" draft I'll be watching for the bottom very closely!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
8ft 6in No problem most places. They sail cruise liners up most of the rivers but perhaps not to exmouth.
All very easy after Lyme bay. May just need to watch the depth at Salcolmbe but its worth it. Oh and yelm at low water.
Have fun

Haydn