West Coast of Scotland Anchorages. Do I need a fishermans?

CaptainBob

www.yacht-forum.co.uk
I've got a 25lb genuine CQR and a 15kg Rocna, on a 9m yacht.

Going to be spending a couple of weeks later in the season anchoring in various locations probably not too far west or north (but a bit) of the exit from the Caledonian, and then slowly south towards N. Ireland.

The CCC guides do say I ought to consider a fishermans anchor.

What do you think? A fishermans, something else, or am I OK with what I have?

And if I need one, what size?

TY

paulrae

Visit site
Provided that you follow the CCC guide's anchorage recommendations I'd say you'll be fine. There are plenty to choose from so if the closest one's poor you should be able to move on to one that's more suitable for your ground tackle. I only have CQR's (I know, I know), and once I'm in, I'm in. We're heading up in that general direction this summer. I'll add another type to the CQRs, but it won't be a fisherman's. And no, I don't want to start a fight by declaring what I'm going to choose.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I've got one if you want one, but TBH, I don't see the need either. I actually cruised that area with a Danforth & a Fishermans (the one available now) but never deployed the Fishermans.

The anchorages are sheltered, the tides small - and so are the risks. Try to avoid the kelp, you can go shallow enough to see the bottom as the tides are only about 10'.

D

Deleted member 36384

Replace The CQR with a Danforth (or Fortress) Rather Than Buy A Fisherman's

I sailed all over the West Coast more or less full time for 5 years. We had a CQR, Danforth and Fisherman's anchors on board.

The Fisherman was used once. The CQR was the bower and we used that a lot with great success, so your Rocna will be great as a primary anchor. If you have the cash i would change the CQR for a Danforth (or Fortress).

I used the Danforth in a number of kedging operations and it worked well. Typically it was used to restrict swinging room either fore and aft or as a running mooring. You could do this with the CQR but the Danforth was pretty reliable and set first time. I used the Danforth on a few occasions as a second bower and once in tandem in front the CQR; strong winds. The latter was a pain in the butt.

So keep the Rocna, don't buy a fisherman's and if you have the cash get a Danforth or Fortress. My current yacht has two CQRs, as a kedge they are a pain to launch from the dinghy, being too awkward.

Cloven

Visit site
Spent many many nights at anchor all over the W coast and all done on a (genuine - not a copy) Bruce. Never had any holding problems even in severe weather.

CaptainBob

www.yacht-forum.co.uk
Great stuff, thank you.

What's the reasoning behind the Danforth/Fortress suggestion rather than something like a small(ish) delta?

The delta's look good in test results and are available very cheaply.

srm

Visit site
Over the last 35 years I have used CQR, Bruce, Oceane, and Rokna anchors on the West Coast. All manufactured by the patent holders and all at least one size larger than the manufacturer's recommendation for the boat being used. I generally avoid rocky bottoms (avoid black sea bed when anchoring) so have never needed a fisherman (though the 30 and 50 kg Bruce was quite good at hooking rock).

Some anchorages do have patches of watery thin mud providing poor holding and you may also find nice looking sandy bottom that is a thin layer over smooth rock which can be disconcerting when the wind picks up and the anchor pulls through it.

D

Deleted member 36384

Danforth / Fortress Advantages

..... What's the reasoning behind the Danforth/Fortress suggestion rather than something like a small(ish) delta...

These anchors are useful because they are small and light for their holding power and stow flat. This means that they are easy to deploy from a dinghy or lower over the stern in kedging operations.

In addition they offer an alternative style which may anchor better in some seabeds compared to other styles.

agurney

agurney.com
25lb CQR should be fine. I've been here over 25 years and that's seen me in good stead (27' Vega, 2 x 25lb CQR).

Eileach an Naoimh (Garvellachs) is the only place I've been where I've felt that a fisherman might be the better option due to the rocky bottom.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Traditionally, the Fishermans' was considered better for rock which it could hook or weed which it might bite thro to the sand etc below. But as stated above it's the sort of thing you read in pre-WW2 yottie guides.