Wescom smart Alert , or PLB1 or PLB3

Chris CJ

Visit site
Just when I thought I had concluded on personal safety kit to incorporate into the life jacket , PLB1 was going to be my choice , then I read Sandy’s update where he has opted for PLB 3 , then reading PBO August mag , new gear report for Wescom smrt alert , it would appear from this report a new statutory requirement for the UK comes into force from January 2025 requiring class M devices with GNSS and internal DSC receivers will be compliant.
From my limited reading of this , it would appear that PLB3 and Wescom meet these requirement , with Wescom retailing at around £270 and PLB3 around £480 as yet I haven’t seen any independent reviews of the Wescom .
These new regulations are for commercial use and as probably not applicable to the leisure water user. However if updating equipment it would make sense to have compliant kit.
I would welcome any views , comments or suggestion before I proceed with a purchase
Chris , 12m yacht , sailing mainly south coast & France

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Who are Wescom?

I went for Ocean Safety kit as:

• It was what I've been waiting for; and
  • they are well known.
I saw on one of their Instagram postings they are now issuing a certificate for everyone rescued after activating their kit - a bit like surviving an ejection on a Martin Baker seat. It is one certificate you never want to achieve.

Chris CJ

Visit site
Wescom are better associate with Wessex pains distress signals ( flares) and of course fireworks , this is another side of the business.

TwoFish

Visit site
So what the PLB article actually says (regarding the regs) is:

"The [Wescom sMRT Alert] device is one of the first products on the market to meet the Electronic Communications Committee's (ECC) new Class M regulations that will render existing AIS-only MOB devices non-compliant in certain countries, including the United Kingdom and Ireland, from January 2025. Only class M devices - those with Global Navigation Satellite System (GNSS) and internal DSC receivers - will be compliant with the new regulations."

Wescom themselves provide some more guidance on those regs: What is Class-M? An Overview of AIS MOB legislation for 2025 | Class-M | MRT

I suppose those regs only become an issue if you are looking at purchasing an AIS alert device which doesn't have the Class M / DSC transceiver funtionality. Are there any such devices still being sold (new)?

For me, the main issue with the Wescom would be that it (as I understand) would only communicate locally, with those within VHF/DSC range (on low power, from your 0m elevation), whereas 'true' PLB devices use the 406 MHz COSPAS-SARSAT global satellite network.

Thoughts welcome (here or in the PLB/MOB/locator thread) as I'm also trying to work my way through the 'what beacon for me?' thinking process.

Last edited:

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
Who are Wescom?

I went for Ocean Safety kit as:

• It was what I've been waiting for; and
  • they are well known.
I saw on one of their Instagram postings they are now issuing a certificate for everyone rescued after activating their kit - a bit like surviving an ejection on a Martin Baker seat. It is one certificate you never want to achieve.
Bit like this :-
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_Club

noelex

Visit site
The PLB1 is purely a PLB (basically a smaller EPIRB). This can be lifesaving technology, but is of limited value in a MOB situation especially in cold water.

The MOB1 is quite different. This emits an AIS distress signal. This is of limited value in an offshore distress situation, but it is the best technology in a MOB situation (providing the boat has an AIS reciever).

The two technologies are complimentary, each covering the limitation of the other, and for this reason each of our life jackets is fitted with both of these devices.

The PLB3 is a newer device that combines the capabilities of both the PLB1 and MOB1 in one device. It is therefore significantly more effective than the PLB1 on its own.

Daverw

Visit site
The PLB1 is purely a PLB (basically a smaller EPIRB). This can be lifesaving technology, but is of limited value in a MOB situation especially in cold water.

The MOB1 is quite different. This emits an AIS distress signal. This is of limited value in an offshore distress situation, but it is the best technology in a MOB situation (providing the boat has an AIS reciever).

The two technologies are complimentary, each covering the limitation of the other, and for this reason each of our life jackets is fitted with both of these devices.

The PLB3 is a newer device that combines the capabilities of both the PLB1 and MOB1 in one device. It is therefore significantly more effective than the PLB1 on its own.
Also PLB3 will auto arm when lift jacket inflates

noelex

Visit site
Also PLB3 will auto arm when lift jacket inflates
Yes, the MOB1 has automatic deployment, but not the PLB1.

There are a few other advantages to the newer PLB3:
It has a confirmation signal that the 406 signal has been received.
It will issue a DSC alert in some countries (including the UK).
There is phone app, making programming easier.
A single unit is more compact than fitting both the PLB1 and MOB1

The drawback (compared to fitting both a PLB1 and MOB1) is that the redundancy of two seperate units is lost. The cost is similar. I think if I buying today the PLB3 is probably the better choice.

Daverw

Visit site
I’ve just upgraded to plb3 and found it really easy to setup and fir inside on bladder tube, plb1 now going to be backup use following battery replacement.