Weed infested line

kalanka

Visit site
I have about 100m of old braided line about 12mm diameter that is used as the push-pull line on a running mooring for a hard dinghy in a sheltered bay.. Most winters I lift and dry out the rope but last winter was unable to do this.

Predictably a large colony of weed has taken root in the line. This winter it is ashore and I have loose coiled it over a fence in the hope that the hard winter frosts in N Scotland will get rid of the week for next season.

Any better ideas?

Thanks

STOL71

www.shuda-sailing.com
I have about 100m of old braided line about 12mm diameter that is used as the push-pull line on a running mooring for a hard dinghy in a sheltered bay.. Most winters I lift and dry out the rope but last winter was unable to do this.

Predictably a large colony of weed has taken root in the line. This winter it is ashore and I have loose coiled it over a fence in the hope that the hard winter frosts in N Scotland will get rid of the week for next season.

Any better ideas?

Thanks

Pressure washer

langstonelayabout

Visit site
Washing machine.

Soak it in a bucket of warm water and napisan for a while and then straight into your washing machine for a full wash at 40 degrees.

What you get out will be a whole lot better, if not perfect.

Beware: if you rope is old the washing machine may destroy it faster than the sea. Also, my wife hates me using the washing machine for ropes...

sarabande

Visit site
Dump it in a bin of water just covering the rope. Add a cup of Patio Magic. Leave for a week. Agitate and agitate for ages with a hosepipe running into the bin till the water runs clear, The weed and roots die and metamorphose into muddy sludge.

Soak it in strong PM before you re-lay it and the weed will take ages to re-colonise.

johnalison

Visit site
Dump it in a bin of water just covering the rope. Add a cup of Patio Magic. Leave for a week. Agitate and agitate for ages with a hosepipe running into the bin till the water runs clear, The weed and roots die and metamorphose into muddy sludge.

Soak it in strong PM before you re-lay it and the weed will take ages to re-colonise.

That won't please those who are concerned about the effect of PM on marine life, though quite how bad this would be I have no idea.

penberth3

Visit site
I've seen something for cleaning muddy caving ropes. Basically a tube lined with something like astroturf - green side inwards! Easy to improvise something like that - two scrubbing brushes cable tied together or whatever.

Or simply set up a plank at a convenient working height and scrub by hand, 3m at a time, won't take too long.

BTW, I don't like the idea of using unknown chemicals on rope.

alan_d

Visit site
I have a similar problem with the pick-up rope on my mooring, it is very hirsute by the Spring. At the start of the season I run the back of a knife-blade along it to get rid of much of the hairy stuff and find that once the boat is on the mooring and the pick-up rope is out of the water a combination of drying out and rainwater soaking soon sorts it out. I would guess that if you have scraped off the worst of the growth the fence treatment should do the trick.