wee ones

jambaman

Visit site
We will soon be living on board with a 2 month old milk sucker, and would appreciate some feedback on whether we should purchase a lifejacket for it (still don't know the sex). I'm inclined to think that for the first few months nothing will be required, not until at least 6 months, when a nice new hellyhansen Kidsafe will be purchsed. Alternatively, would swimming armbands be a good idea, especialy when rowing (me not the it!!)ashore . Any feedback from those of you have been there will be much apprecaited.
thanks

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
since you are going to cruise an area not known for a reliable rescue service, surely a rescue cot like the ones used by airlines would be desireable should you need to abandon..

We had the Helly Hansen infact lifejackets for our two right from day one and transferred them into them as each became mobile.

A good game for them to play is clipping on. We made twin tether lifelines and the boys religiously clipped and unclipped as they went the length of the side decks.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>The above is, like any other post here, only a personal opinion

RPC

Visit site
There is a book about babies onboard cruising boats. I have not read it so cannot say it will answere your specific question but it may be of use to you.

see it here Have you visited the Blue Water Cruising Site <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.onpassage.com>http://www.onpassage.com ?
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by RPC on 19/08/2004 14:29 (server time).</FONT></P>

mike_bryon

Visit site
we sailed with our newly born son (and his two sisters) he was 2 months old in the Azores. We found a baby car seat to be really useful. He liked it and it provided lots of protection from sheets, winch handles and when being passed throught the boat, ashore etc. We lashed it to something at all times (me, my wife or the boat). We were able to attach a sun shade to it.

Hope this helps and happy sailing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Visit site
Yes but that was in UK waters where they wore lots of layers underneath. In the Med there might be a little more "flop". Ours were also a couple of hevyweights!

I'm sure that it will fit though. You have to remember that although it doesn't have a crotch strap and relies upon the front lashings being done up to neck level, infants have a proportionately larger head than adults so the usual worry about a lifejacket popping over the head doesn't apply to the HH Infant design. We must have some pictures somewhere. I'll look 'em out.

Steve Cronin

<hr width=100% size=1>The above is, like any other post here, only a personal opinion

jambaman

Visit site
cheers guys, so the car seat and a HH it is to be. I wonder if there is a RFD self righting car seat out there?? Will look at the baby book, it seems as though the baby/child bookshelf is getting larger than our nautical one, and it hasn't even arrived yet!!
thanks again

<hr width=100% size=1>