Weather sites

charles_reed

Visit site
Boatasticweather.com boasting about how popular they were in June.
The most popular weather stations being viewed in June were Cowes, Hayling Island, Lee on Solent and Poole, with Queen Mary's Sailing Club, located near Heathrow Airport, receiving the most visitors for an inland location.
Boatastic's Weather-Cam Network was launched in 2000 and now has video cameras strategically placed at 20 locations at key UK sailing venues, both coastal and inland. Visitors to the Web site get a view of the actual conditions on the water at the time of logging on.
In addition to the video picture - updated every 60 minutes - weather data is offered on actual wind direction, speed, highest gust and temperature updated every 30 minutes. Seven-day data archives correspond to each location, together with a daily history of video clips.

I wonder what their forecasts are like.

cynthia

Visit site
Nice one, Charles. If only I could move the data box, I'd be able to see my boat. Don't know about the weather, but this could be an excellent security camera! Thanks.

andrewhopkins

Visit site
Has its use...

I use it as part of my checks before i go sailing around the Solent.

1. Check IWCP.co.uk which is very local and includes:

2. Marine forecast for 48 hours

3. Check bbc.co.uk for more general view

4. check shipping forecast

5. Check boatastic to see what it is REALLY like

I like their weather cams as its nice to see what is really happening. I live 45 minutes away so i can log onto lee on solent/cowes and see things like mist that may not be forecast.

WARNING: think about the prevailing wind. If it is SWesterley and you log onto Cowes, the strength and direction will be affected.

charles_reed

Visit site
Forecasts or actual

there are loads of forecasting sites - the best "linker" is, IMHO, Frank Singleton's.

Why anyone uses Karlsruhe I don't know when you can get better, faster download, more comprehensive info from the NOAA site, including 500 mB forecasts.

No the point about Boatastic is that it gives you current weather - just like the ODAS buoys from Tallahassee.

It's all quite useless to me, and I'm amazed at UK yotties obsession with the weather - I've been making do with 30 secs over vhf in English with a very Spanish accent.

In the final analysis, as with navigation, you get the info from as many sources as possible and then have theresponsibility, as skipper, of taking a view and acting on it.