Weather proofing VHF antenna connection at the top of the mast

wipe_out

Visit site
Is there a recommended way to weather proof VHF connection at the top of the mast? I read somewhere that using Vaseline or similar petroleum jelly but surely that would be under some more substantial covering?

VicS

Visit site
Should I still use Vaseline internally and then wrap the tape or is the tape all that is needed?

I would use a light smear of siicone grease rather than Vaseline ( Lidl often have tubes of silicone grease ... Get a couple if/when you see them)

I have never tried the self fusing silicone tape although I have used the ordinary self amalgamating rubber tape.
Dunno where you get it. SaltyJohn ????

Visit site
Self amalgamating tape available from DIY shops
I used 2 BNCs and a barrel connector on both VHF and GPS then wrapped with two layers. they have been there for 4 years and when I put the swr meter on the VHF last week still got a good reading

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
It's self-amalgamating tape, made from silicone. No adhesive, stretch as you apply it and it retains compression on the fitting and amalgamates into a silicone coating. No need for grease.
You can get it from Mocap, but there are other suppliers.

Salty John

www.saltyjohn.co.uk
Yes, from the Mercer Gaskets site:
"Silicone – Silicone is an extremely versatile material. It features excellent elastomeric properties at both low and high temperatures. Silicone is highly resistant to oxygen, ozone, UV light, aging, weather, and extreme temperatures."

Other threads that may be of interest