Weather Forecast Source

sb99

Visit site
Where do forum members get the weather forecast from.

I have tended to look Here

Also at what stage would you say going out become a no no with regards to sea state in a 26ft planing sports cruiser.
Is moderate a good benchmark for calling a halt to proceedings

Sneds

Visit site
Force 4 is our limit, wind against tide can reduce that figure!
How ever, when the tide is coming in, with a prevailing south westerly, 5 can be ok. But look out when the tide starts to ebb!
OR just have a look before you go, if getting a bit scary, head for home - sooner rather than later.

sb99

Visit site
Great couple of sites bookmarked ready for next trip.

Guess I’m going to have to take a bit more notice of wind and tide directions and not rely solely on forecasts

I’ll probably stick nose out Friday providing it looks ok and turn back a lot quicker if things start to look rough. Provided I’m not at the half way point. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

duppamiller

Visit site
Wouldn't recommend relying solely on text based forecasts - there's no substitute for a quick look at the charts - there's a good selection here:
http://www.franksingleton.clara.net/chartlist.html

For example:

Accuweather is predicting a F2-3 from the South on Saturday in the Bristol Channel
( http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/sailing-...y=3&fhour=0 )

Then look at the metoffice chart here for midday Saturday:
http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/brack1a.html

You can see where Accuweather are coming from, but you can also see that it's going to be pretty ugly not very far away - those isobars over Wales have got to be close enough for a F5-6, possibly more, and definitely more in the gusts around that cold front - it's worth being aware of the bigger picture given that the forecast (charts or text) aren't 100% accurate . . . .

LizzyD

Visit site
Thanks for those links. I usually only use Accuweather, as I found the Met Office and occasionally the MCA to be miles out with their predictions.

To be honest, I really don't know enough about the weather and considering it's such an integral part of sailing, you'd think I'd have bothered to learn.

I'm supposed to be going to Ilfracombe tomorrow and I'm having doubts now. I've promised everyone a sunbathing extravaganza, when it seems we could be in for a bit of a rough ride.

Take care all,

Lizzy D

sb99

Visit site
Some great links being added. I take your point regarding the bigger picture. Our last outing turned out to be completely different to that shown on met office report. I’ll have to try and learn how to interpret the charts for maximum benefit.

I should have taken Monday – Wednesday off. This weekend is starting to look dodgy. …Gutted /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Elza_Skip

Visit site
I tend to use the Met office and BBC on line and access the inshore forecast from the met office on my mobile when on the boat. amzin through how much the forecasts vary- Met office says heavy rain Sun and aonher says sunny!

Visit site
Hi,great weather links,i tended to use bbc as well,but not much detail there,last sunday it gave the wind speed of 12mph,but sailing past the islands gusts heeled us right over,forcing me to reef, i know i should have reefed beforehand but we were going ok,checked the harbour website later and it gave the wind speed of 38mph,about 30mph to much for us.take care chris.

sb99

Visit site
Well I totally misinterpreted the weather this Friday/Saturday and stayed in at Cardiff Bay.
As it turned out I could have made my trip to watchet. What swayed it was some of the weather forecasts predicting rough sea conditions. I guess the Bristol Channel is quite a wide area and the rough predictions didn’t apply to our area. As one of the guys stated today, the best weather prediction is to stick your head out the window.
Never mind, I’m sure there will be many more opportunities during this fantastic summer and we had a great couple of days in Cardiff bay. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Don't go out today then it's rough rough!!
Lands End to St Davids Head including Bristol Channel

Issued by the Met Office at 0600 UTC on Sunday 05 August 2007

24 hour forecast:

Wind - South 4 or 5 veering west or northwest 5 or 6, occasionally 7 in south.
Weather - Rain spreading from the west then showers.
Visibility - Good becoming moderate or poor for a time.
Sea State - Moderate becoming rough rough for a time around Lands End and St Davids Head.

Outlook for the following 24 hours:

Wind - West or northwest 5 or 6 decreasing 3 or 4.
Weather - Showers.
Visibility - Mainly good.
Sea State - Moderate, becoming slight in north. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

sb99

Visit site
I saw that forecast aswell

Glad I took no notice. We ventured out today, only around flatholm and steepholm but it was a great trip for us.

Cant wait for the next one /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif