We joined the Navy

doug748

Visit site
This suggestion was prompted by the previous post for Coarse Sailing. About the same vintage, this book by John Winton is more literary but equally funny. I recall an excellent interview passage, highlighting the difference between a duff and brilliant candidiate for officer cadet training. I know nothing about the author except that he was obviously a Navy man. I once saw another book by him about the submarine service (I think), I always regret not buying it. Surprised he is not more popular / well known. Brian.

S

Skyva_2

Hilarious book by a very funny writer. Also see 'We Saw the Sea', and 'Down the Hatch' (the submarine one). He also wrote a rather more serious book about an aircraft carrier, not really so good.

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
\"I left the Navy\"

is the title of Eric Hiscock's least well known book. He was slung out of the RNVR, where was having a very happy time as Chief Engineer of a big motor yacht taken into the Sevice for anti-submarine patrols, halfway through WW2, when he failed a medical on the grounds of eyesight (he was, of course, extremely short sighted, and had memorised the alphabet card on his first medical!)

The book deals with what he and Susan did next. Good read.