Waterproof VHF advice please

G

My American Humingbird VHF has given up the ghost and I need a replacement radio for the flybridge that will tolerate the occassional wetting.
Any advice on make and model would be appreciated.

Bernie

jfm

Visit site
another humminbird

I have the humminbird on boston whaler and Ribs. for real water proof applications I'd get another, becos they are nitrogen filled and the seals work. Only irritation is it defaults to USA frequencies on switch-on, so have to select Europe with a button

andyball

Visit site
Re: another humminbird

I've not used a humminbird myself, but an aquaintance has had two give up on him, and will not be buying any more.

G

Thanks Chris, I already have an ICOMS hand held which seems to do the job well, I'll probably go for their fixed set as well.

Bernie

Rob_Webb

Visit site
ICOM 401

The new ICOM401 (£189 from Marine Superstore, Port Solent - no, I have no interest!) is allegedly waterproof to "depth of 1 metre for 30 seconds"- I guess this would make it suitable for an occasional dousing on your flybridge?

ivorandrews

Visit site
Waterproof VHF

I suggest you get a simrad HD 52 for your flybridge, it's a handheld set which links up with your gps system and has a dsc function, this means that if you press the panic button it sends out a distress signal giving your position- also, if you are unlucky enough like i was, you can evacuate your craft with your VHF meaning that the coastguard has an easier job when coming to rescue you. It is also totally waterproof- i checked mine by throwing it in my swimming pool.
Although its range may be less than a fixed set, i never really use my VHF until im reasonably close to the person i am trying to communicate with (normally the marina). Therefore if you have a fixed set at the lower helm (like i do), then i would really recomend the simrad HD52 handheld for the flybridge.

It costs around £300.00, this seems expensive but believe me- when you are fairly sure you have a fire on board it's extremely handy to be able to get off the boat with the VHF before you get either burned or gassed, and then radio through to the coastguard.

A cheaper version (The SIMRAD HD50) is available- it does not have the dsc function.

I would really recomend spending that bit more and getting the HD52.

-Ivor