Watering holes I can moor at near Poole

KenLee

Visit site
I'm new to Cobbs Quay. Can anyone advise any nice friendly pubs - that serve good food - that I can moor up at, and that are within the general vicinity, not too far from Poole?
Many thanks.

c_j

Visit site
What size boat?

It does depend.

If under 30FT then a trip up to Wareham is on the cards but check the tides and make sure you have plenty of water. NOw others on here will say that Wareham is fine for larger than 30 foot but as you do not know the area very well I would not reccomend.

I like Studland where the Banks Arms have courtesy mooring buoys and although they get busy it is a good anchorage at Studland. The pub is up the beach (south beach) which just happens to be the most southerly errrrr.... of the three beaches at Studland and up a little lane. Its a good Pub but I think the food expensive for a "Pub meal"

I also am keen on Lymmington where you can get alongside Town Quay or at least on one of the moorings close too and visit the Pub on the Quay.

The Shell Bay Bistro on the Studland side of Sanbanks chain ferry is good but not really a Pub an dof course you have Dolphin Haven or the Town Quay in Poole itself fo the many pubs on the Quay itself.

Many Pubs in Swanage but Never in an Easterly and if the bay looks deserted of fishing boats by the Pier then They expect an Easterly and have all gone round the back of Brownsea Island

Good Luck

CJ
chris@stone.uk.com

www.stone.uk.com

lanason

Visit site
Wareham quay is an excellent night stop over - if you can find space to moor.

There are two pubs on the Quay - the Granary does excellent food. There is also a nice chippie just up the road.
You can also have a nice walk down the Towpath back down the river towards Redcliffe. Or take the dinghy up river under the bridge exploring......

I spent ages there as a kid. We were moored at the quay when we heard the sad news that Earl Mountbatton had been murdered !!! That was a few years ago !!

Adrian

Adrian

I got a new Job !!!!!!

BarryH

Visit site
Adrian, the chippies changed hands. I was in there a couple of weeks ago. its not that good now. Its not like it used to be, its gon all modern and not the old fashioned place it used to be.

Wha'dya mean "I'm always playing with this engine" its the only way to get it to run!

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
"If you can find space to moor"

So, how early do you need to get there for a spot? It looks a good option for the children for an overnighter. I think we'd arrive on a Tuesday which might make for space. Is it a safe place to leave the boat for a day trip to Corfe Castle/Swanage Railway/Tank Museum or what have you?

TIA

Two beers please, my friend is paying.

Geoffs

Visit site
Impossible to say what time is best to arrive at Wareham. It's rather pot luck. In my limited experience few seem to stay over night, so a later arrival might find you a spot, no guarantees. The main problem is that most of the quay is reserved for trip boats, that don't seem to venture up very often.

The point of arrival will depend on tides as well, I reckon yopu want at least a metre of tide to get up the Frome. I went up a 0.9m once, and touched bottom at Redcliffe, and I don't draw much. You should be Ok for exploring local area, but it is a public place.

For photo see,

http://www.arweb.co.uk/aralbums/boaters/3_Wareham.jpg

Old Chinese proverb 'Man who sail boat into rice field, soon get into paddy'

duncan

Visit site
also Wareham has festivals through the summer and when one of those is on you will get a lot of 'overnight' traffic.

Mind you I would rather some of them stayed and didn't navigate back down the river....................

Banks Arms for booze
Shell Bay 'bistro' for really good food
Swanage for both

Catch me at any/all of the above over the next few weeks for a beer!

good luck, and enjoy Poole

you will have to call me up - Phaeton - as you do not show your boat details. We are based at Rockley.

Geoffs

Visit site
Yeh, and the second week in August is Bankes Arms beer festival, definetly worth a visit, I thought it was great last year.

Geoffs

Visit site
I like Wareham too, Steve, it's a lovely town, you are fortunate to live there. Sorry if I've stood next to you and ignored you. I've usually got the old burgee flying proudly from the pulpit.

Next time I make the trip up the Frome I'll try and PM you, buy you a beer or two to make up for ignoring you!

Now stop blubbing ;-)

G

Me too, I love Wareham, me. Trail boater - moored at Ridge Wharf a few times (when we had a Shetland F4..slipway's bloody steep!!) Now have a Cruisers 224 would like to go back, but not to Ridgewharf....not very secure (had winch strap sliced in half by some degenerate). Never did manage to moor at Wareham..always too busy and as someone said..too much quay space taken up by trip boat. Never like rafting unless owner about..even then don't like asking.
If we do go back to Wareham (and I think we might..but not this summer...p'raps October half term, 'cos we've booked a flat in Swanage..will contact you for beers. Being qualified in archaeology, Wareham has always fascinated me as one of the very few unspoilt Saxon 'planned' towns.
Max

Geoffs

Visit site
Sounds like we might have to have a gathering at Wareham in October. Might be quiet then.

The slip at Redcliffe looks quite gentle. I would think you were just unlucky with your winch strap at Ridge, can never be sure you won't encouter low life anywhere.

G

Steve, see my post to Geoffs...may see y'all October 1/2 term??
Max

Geoffs

Visit site
A bit further up the river from Ridge Wharf. Easily identified as it sits under a red cliff. Need to look on a map for road access, but I think there is a turning off the Swanage - Wareham road near Corfe. No doubt a local can give better directions.