Water in Turks & Caicos Islands

bartsimp

Visit site
Hi all,

before i start, i'm not quite sure if this is the correct forum and i'm sure, that if it's not, someone will move it to where it needs to be.

In one of the recent YM's there was a great article on cruising the Turks and Caicos Islands. One of the only downsides seemed to be the lack of water for cruisers.

I'm actually sat in Grand Turk as i write this and thought that it might be worth posting this information.

Island Pure Water
Ultra pure drinking water produced and bottled in Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos Islands, British West Indies.
Purified by reverse osmosis and ozonated for taste and purity. GOVERMENT TESTED.

The phone number is 001 (649) 9461585
email is islandpurewater@yahoo.com

The people (Pat & Neil Saxton) are really friendly and accommodating and will deliver the water to anywhere on the island that you require.

1 Gallon containers -$1.50
Water machine in town using own containers $0.75 per gallon.
5 Gallon water machine containers(must have container to exchange) $7.00

Any more questions please do not hessitate to get in touch.

Hope this helps someone.

Brett Simpson

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by bartsimp on 09/08/2004 20:14 (server time).</FONT></P>

charles_reed

Visit site
Water availability in the world

We are so spoilt in N Europe for fresh, clean, free water available from taps all over the place that we forget that water is a scarce commodity in many places.

You have to pay for it in St Mary's, Scillonia and in a large number of places round the Med.
Perhaps a watermaker is as essential a piece of kit as a solar panel?

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
Re: Water availability in the world

in the west indies, water costs around $0.06 per gal. on that basis we felt a watermaker was unnecessary. at $1 it becomes a whole different story!

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site

$1-$2 per gallon is generally the going rate through most of the out islands in this area for fresh, untreated rain water, where you can get it, around 25c is more typical for purified, chlorinated (ozonated?) sea water, which is not very pleasant for drinking. Bottled water is dearer, we picked up some on South Caicos a few years back in Cockburn Harbour's solitary fly-blown 'supermarket' which was about the most expensive anywhere. Possibly the development of tourism on Provincales has brought an increase in the quality of the water.

bartsimp

Visit site

I know what you mean about the taste but the water that i mentioned is to the same standard and taste as any other bottled water that i have bought from shops.

Also this water is what about 95% of people on island now use in their water coolers so the costs i mentioned are the same for locals and not the 'tourist' rate.

Just thought i'd be helpful as everyone tries to rip off tourists be they sailors or land lovers :)

Brett

<hr width=100% size=1>