Watching at St Kat's

MiskinDriver

Visit site
Watching at St Kat\'s

I wandered past St Kat's today and stopped to watch as the lock was opening. Four boats coming in. First a nice Oyster - hit the lock gates, apparently after finding out that the boat doesn't stop too well when you bang on reverse at the last moment. Next, a mobo, made the starboard side (where the pontoon is) reasonably neatly after some confusion amongst lock keepers concerning which side the boat should go. Next two mobos arrived (having danced with each other outside the lock - there seemed to be some doubt about who was going first) going too fast so lotsa reverse and at least one saved by some very quick crew work from 13 - 15 year old female crew. She was off the boat double quick and got a couple of turns on a bollard, just enough to stop the boat hitting the one in front.

Chaos and confusion - but great spectator sport. Now I know that summer is here.

And yes, I know, I've been there too and I'm being cruel (tho' I've left the boats unidentified - I could have been more specific). Doesn't stop me enjoying the spectacle .......

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: Watching at St Kat\'s

I have spent many a happy hour both working on the Lock, sitting up on the Club balcony with a beer or sitting in the office with Ron. (ah the good old days) The antics of some boat owners were better than watching Laurel & Hardy. I was also impressed by some young boat handlers too, 12 or 13 year olds laying boats alongside with grace and aplomb.

RutlandMike

www.sam2.us

Any idea where I can get such a teenager for some lessons? I'll let you know when/where I'm coming through - that'll be a spectacle and a half! Dropped the boat in at Windsor racecourse so had to wack it into reverse the first time I tried to go through Boulters - nearly lost my radar arch! Doh! Most embarrassing but we learn from our mistakes and practice makes perfect - one hopes! Once I've fitted hydraulics I'll give it another bash (bash being the operative word). /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

whisper

Visit site

I, for the first time, spent a very pleasant hour or so at St. Cats last Thursday - did a circular tour from Westminster Pier as a tourist. An interesting variety of boats based there.
Surprised at the speed of the flood tide and how "rough" the water was.
Thoroughly enjoyed being followed by the Police in a "you know what", especially when they gave it a bit of wellie and blasted off downstream - wish ours was a bit bigger /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I was hoping that there would be a chandlery at St. Cats but I suspect that the rents are too high.

Ended up discovering Arthur Beale at the top end of Shaftesbury Ave. Odd place for a chandlers but what a lovely emporium - not a fashion waterproof to be seen /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

MiskinDriver

Visit site

You're right about the chandlers - a real boon for anyone working in London - and so much better than Ocean Leisure .....

The police have got three new boats - all 31.1s I think. Two were at Wessex Marine (having just been delivered) last time I was there - and looking very good.

Last time I was out I was cut up by the police 27 .... I was pottering at 15 knots and they were just showing off.

Ah well, roll on the weekend.

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site

>>>
Surprised at the speed of the flood tide and how "rough" the water was.
>>>
Got a broken toe and a very bent fairlead a couple of years ago to show for the rough water while moored to HMS President waiting for St Kats. The trip boats churn it up and all their wash reflects off the banks, constructive interference and so forth. I've sat outside The Anchor in Southwark watching the river and seen one of the Clipper commuter boats take a green one over the bows just before passing under London Bridge butting into the flood.

Its pretty lumpy when the lock at St Kats empties into the river, everyone going upstream gives it beans to clear out the system before (supposedly) dropping below 8 knots at Wandsworth.

Brayman

Visit site

I give it a bit of welly to get out of the lock then throttle down and turn down river to give us time to get the fenders in before turning to go upstream - much more comfortable and less hairy.

oldgit

Visit site

The inability of boat owners to from an orderly and civilised queue when the lock is about to open is depressing,yes,I know it was very scary for the gang of Broom 44 owners out of Harleyford last season who having braved the perils of the lower Thames,only to be told to wait your turn by the lockkeeper,got very pushy indeed......... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site

It doesn't seem beyond human wit to have a list of all those who have called up requesting a berth, giving LOA + beam, and call them in by name on the radio. Perhaps symptomatic of the occasionally slaphappy way the place seems to be run. I'm sure that the boats are just a nuisance really:)

DogsBody

Visit site

I think you have hit the nail on the head there Andrew, I've always got the impression at St Kats that boats wanting to get in are considered a nuisance and that they only really want boats there for the tourist attraction benefit.

Darren.

oldgit

Visit site

Despite the lockmaster calling the awaiting vessels by name on the vhf and asking them to enter in a certain order a free for all always seems to erupt.

oldgit

Visit site

Well,the "St Kats approach and control communication system" consisted of a rather well used handheld followed by certain amount of shouting.............
Fairly sure that 99% of visitors are unaware that you are supposed to listen on err....whatever channel you are meant to monitor,those that have actually got there radio switched on that is.
In the general panic that passes as an orderly queue, VHFis normally forgotten about entirely. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif